#17,#11 Dayne Beams

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

I doubt Beams or the club will be interested in resuming the relationship and given what Brisbane will demand in trade I can't see any justification using it on a player who would be a luxury and not a list need.

Hell be a good get for any club though and wouldn't surprise if it was Essendon.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
swoop42

Post by swoop42 »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:Aren't the Ox and Josh Smith Queenslanders?

Just sayin...
What exactly are you saying?

In a trade for Beams these two would be considered Pate knives. :wink:
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Skids »

swoop42 wrote:I doubt Beams or the club will be interested in resuming the relationship and given what Brisbane will demand in trade I can't see any justification using it on a player who would be a luxury and not a list need.

Hell be a good get for any club though and wouldn't surprise if it was Essendon.
Yeah agree, I think we're moving in a different direction.
He's 29 next year.

Time for the club to bring in some more Key backs, we have a plethora of Beams type.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 124 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Brown26
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Brown26 »

Beams would make our team better. I'd have him in a heart beat, except we couldn't afford him. He'd be worth a first rounder which we can't afford I don't think (with Kelly and Quaynor etc). He's also not our first priority - we need either a tall forward or tall back, so Lynch or May would be number 1 on the list.

There is a scenario where we could get Beams for our first rounder and not miss out on Quaynor or Kelly. Let's say the draft positions stay the same as they are now, and Quaynor and Kelly go at the positions in the most recent phantom draft (11 and 19, with discount 1708 points in total). If Quaynor goes before our first pick (likely 18 ;) , currently 13) we would need to use that pick and miss out on a first rounder. IF Brisbane were happy to accept basically a straight swap Beams for pick 13, we could swap our pick 13 and next years second rounder (likely about the same) for Beams and a few low picks from Brissy this year to make up the points. Brisbane would love another high pick in this years draft and we probably wont get to use ours anyway, being forced (most likely) to use it on Quanyor. So:

Pick 13 and next years second rounder (worth about 600 points) to Brissy,
Beams and picks 39 (446 points) and 57 (182 points) = 628 points in total.

We've got picks 47, 49 and 67 = 672 points = 1300 points in total, needing 408 more (the possible Beams trade doesn't affect this actually). The 408 could come off next years first round pick OR better for us, come from trading fringe players for points - ie. Oxley, Fasolo, Wills, Smith etc. I just made up those trades, but you get the idea. Remember we wouldn't get a pick for Fasolo if he leaves as a free agent if we get Lynch. I'd also suggest trading Wells for points (and paying part of his salary) if we get Beams in, but that would be a bit controversial.

We would lose a few players, but bring in Beams, Kelly, Quanyor and upgrade Mihocek. Make it happen!

- Ben
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 91 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Ben I doubt the Lions would take that deal
They paid pick 6 & 26 plus Crisp for him
They would be wanting a minimum of a early 1st round pick back
The top 7 in this years draft are all looking like A graders. The next 8-12 could well be but haven't set the world on fire in the TAC consistently enough to be classed as A graders ready to go
Cal Twoomey said today trading to get a pick below 7 was risky very risky as there is a significant gap between the top 7 and the rest
He said talk of this year being a super draft hasn't come up like that in his view. He rated draft good but not a super draft.
He did quantify that by saying it could turn out that way by looking back in a few years but some players due to injury and form hadn't lived up to the hype from 12 months ago
Brown26

Post by Brown26 »

Beams was worth an early pick and pick 26 and Crisp (who Brisbane didn't rate). He's now got 3 or 4 years left in him max. Is he worth less than half that value now, given he's got less than half half as many playing years left (as he had)? Id offer pick 13 (or whatever we get), pick 52 and Oxley, but I agree, I doubt they'll take it...

- Ben
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by piedys »

People forget how many games he has missed with injury in the past few seasons. His present run of injury-free luck won't last forever, it never does...
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 91 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Brown26 wrote:Beams was worth an early pick and pick 26 and Crisp (who Brisbane didn't rate). He's now got 3 or 4 years left in him max. Is he worth less than half that value now, given he's got less than half half as many playing years left (as he had)? Id offer pick 13 (or whatever we get), pick 52 and Oxley, but I agree, I doubt they'll take it...

- Ben
Ben fair point but at 28 he's hardly washed up. In fact some may suggest the next 3-4 years could possibly be his best
His likely to win there B&F again, finish there highest vote getter in the coaches awards and Brownlow and his season stats rank very highly in comparison to others who are considered to be having a good or great year

His seasons stats are marginally below his copeland winning year and according to some experts is a AA contender if not a lock
Saying his worth half the value due to his age doesn't make sense
His only missed 2 games this season
E

Post by E »

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Brown26 wrote:Beams was worth an early pick and pick 26 and Crisp (who Brisbane didn't rate). He's now got 3 or 4 years left in him max. Is he worth less than half that value now, given he's got less than half half as many playing years left (as he had)? Id offer pick 13 (or whatever we get), pick 52 and Oxley, but I agree, I doubt they'll take it...

- Ben
Ben fair point but at 28 he's hardly washed up. In fact some may suggest the next 3-4 years could possibly be his best
His likely to win there B&F again, finish there highest vote getter in the coaches awards and Brownlow and his season stats rank very highly in comparison to others who are considered to be having a good or great year

His seasons stats are marginally below his copeland winning year and according to some experts is a AA contender if not a lock
Saying his worth half the value due to his age doesn't make sense
His only missed 2 games this season
Ironically, in your defense of Dayne Beams, you are basically suggesting that getting 4 years of Dayne Beams is equal to or more valuable than getting 8 years of Dayne Beams....... Actually, given that he will be a free agent at the end of his contract, you are saying that one year of Dayne Beams is just as valuable as 8 years of Beams. This means 7 years of Dayne Beams is essentially worth nothing. Boy, even Jackson Payne was worth more than that.......
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Not needed in a team with so many midfielders.

Picking him up would only be for nostalgic reasons and that would be a huge mistake.

Our focus has to be the future not the past.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
think positive
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

What'sinaname wrote:Not needed in a team with so many midfielders.

Picking him up would only be for nostalgic reasons and that would be a huge mistake.

Our focus has to be the future not the past.
i agree.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
5 from the wing on debut

Post by 5 from the wing on debut »

No.
No.
No.
Just no.
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mattdally »

Disagree that he is not a priority.
He is as equal a priority as another key back.

What he adds is the ability for us to rotate JDG, Treloar and Adams throughout the midfield / half forward on a regular basis.

This will assist his ability to stay fit and healthy and that being the case, he can kick 30+ goals and dominate in an attacking role.

He is worth $700k and we should seriously consider it if available.
roar

Post by roar »

^^ Not even close to our need of a KPP.

We already rotate our guns through mid/half forward regularly.

No thanks.
kill for collingwood!