#22 Steele Sidebottom

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Johnno75
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
simon tonna

Post by simon tonna »

you beat me to it fellow Queenslander. I too have been a long standing critic of Steele Sidebottom. I admit he frustrated me for many a year to a point I thought he was our best commodity for a steal in a trade of.
when he first came onto the seen as a young TAC cup forward who kicked 10 in grand final I saw a very good football player. 2010 grand final and the games leading into that game had me bullish and thinking we have a superstar in the making here. he then like the rest of the team started to spiral downward into the oblivion. just my opinion only.
but last night in my post match game reply which as now disappeared I committed he is our yard stick in a way that reflects the team and how its going, for example, if the team is playing outstanding footy like last night he is one of the best as usual but when the team is playing bad he plays bad as well but is still one of the better players we had in the game. hence why he's the raining Copeland winner. I really feel that the club has turned the corner to a form that we all have been waiting for and I think last night was a breakout game for Sidebottom as well. he was simply outstanding. he and grundy are in the running for a Brownlow this year.
no second chances
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

His contested marking is still not as good as Billy Picken's. He needs to fix that to get to the next level.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 89 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Pies4shaw wrote:His contested marking is still not as good as Billy Picken's. He needs to fix that to get to the next level.
How's the heart ole mate ?? Lol
Mate I tip my hat to you
I have to admit now there isn't a chance in the world he isn't an elite player in this form
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by think positive »

You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

He's been "elite" since he first pulled on the boots for Collingwood. Because he is so good on both sides of his body and has such brilliant handling skills, he can do things in traffic, under pressure and in the hottest games that other players simply can't.

He is small and relatively slow, so he's never going to be the sort of player who imposes great defensive pressure when the opposition has the ball and he's not the kind of player who will routinely rack up 40+ disposals in the more open footy that's played during the season, when a bit of extra pace generally helps clean up the loose ball.

He comes to the fore when the game is hottest and hardest. The great shame of his career is that he hasn't played in more finals - the thing about him is that he is under no more pressure in a Grand Final than he is in a home and away game because he can go both ways by hand or foot at any time, so the opposition can't close him down.

The routine comparisons people tend to make between Steele and guys who get more of the ball - but do nothing with it - remain annoying. Because of his small size and lack of pace, he's never going to excel on paper - he excels on the field by doing the difficult things that others can't do. At Collingwood, only Pendlebury is a "better" footballer and even Pendles isn't as good on his "wrong side" as Sidebottom. Sidey is not the sort of player to get you to the Grand Final - he's the sort of player that wins them for you.
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by think positive »

Love it P4S, truth
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Post by The Boy Who Cried Wolf »

Agreed P4S. He's a match winner when you 'really' need one. He needs to be used accordingly if and when we're playing clutch games.
All Aboard!! Choo Choo!!!
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Skids »

Skids wrote:Backed him at 80/1 in the Brownlow pre-season (also backed Treloar @ 50/1 & DeGoey @ 500/1)

Currently 66/1.
Into 33's now 8)
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:Let's play him as a forward
He was good playing off the halfback line a couple of years back.
didick
Been liked: 1 time

Post by didick »

"The night is a very dark time for me" Chaz Michael Michaels
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 106 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Donny
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Donny »

Skids wrote:
Skids wrote:Backed him at 80/1 in the Brownlow pre-season (also backed Treloar @ 50/1 & DeGoey @ 500/1)

Currently 66/1.
Into 33's now 8)
You need to change bookies, old mate. Still paying $101 in Crown. :)
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Post by The Boy Who Cried Wolf »

I'd like him as a forward, and depending on circumstances off half back, or midfield sparingly.
All Aboard!! Choo Choo!!!
Stinger

Post by Stinger »

The most positive thing about Steele this year is that he hasn't had a brain fart and got himself suspended for something stupid in the first few weeks.