Post Match. Pies down to Hawks - All comments please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

Our trading has been excellent. Drafting good, though with a lot of recent bad luck with injuries.

Free agent signing has been poor, though most of the signings were fill-ins and have had little to do with our stagnation.
Well done boys!
Jpies

Post by Jpies »

AN_Inkling wrote:Our trading has been excellent. Drafting good, though with a lot of recent bad luck with injuries.

Free agent signing has been poor, though most of the signings were fill-ins and have had little to do with our stagnation.
I'm not sure I can agree. Drafting has been hit and miss IMO.

2013 we took Scharenberg and Freeman, and despite the injuries as you mentioned, that draft would have to go down as a loss based upon the outcome, particularly noting the talent that came later in that draft. We will never know how good Freeman could have been, and I suspect the same with Scharenberg.

2014 we took De Goey, Moore, Maynard and Goodyear. That year was a win.

2015 draft we took Sier, Phillips, Wills and Crocker. None have been able to establish themselves as locks for selection, and I'm inclined to call that one a loss at this stage despite us having no first round picks.

2016 we took McLarty, Brown, Kirby and Daicos. Too early to judge that one.

Trading has been good as far as older, established players are concerned. Varcoe, Howe and Dunn have all been good choices. I am still a bit concerned that haven't had much success with drafting players from other clubs who have been in the system say, 1 -3 years, who we anticipate will improve. Again, Aish and WHE are the examples in my mind. I'm hoping Murray is an exception.
burnsy17

Post by burnsy17 »

Beware the swooping Magpie.
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

^^^
Well, in that seemingly highly unlikely event, it'd presumably be a caretaker coach, which rules out your namesake, for example.
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times

Post by doriswilgus »

In the first game last year,we went down to the Bulldogs by only ten points,and probably lost the game through bad kicking.After seeing last night's game,it's pretty clear that we've taken a step back from that performance and have gone backwards.That is a major worry in itself,because we weren't that good last year,and can hardly afford to go backwards.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

AN_Inkling wrote:A lot of bagging of Cox but our problem was not our tall forwards, it wasn't a night for them to dominate. Roughead did bugger all for the Hawks and Moore was the leading marker for the night with 8 (Reid 6, Cox 0, Roughead 4).

Our problem was a lack of small forwards, or quality forwards of any description. We can say that missing players are not an excuse. But compare Rioli, Burgoyne, Bruest to Crocker and whoever else we had up there and it's a massive discrepancy. That's not coaching, that's lack of personnel. Add Wells, Elliot, Fas, De Goey and the forward lines are not so far a part.

They beat us for run and had more talented forwards. Simple as that. I did not see any coaching failure in this game. Overall it was a fairly even contest and I don't see any reason to think we won't be competitive in most games.
Like I noted myself take out 3 or 4 of your best players that all play in one specific area of the ground and all teams will struggle to play to their optimum.

Elliott, Fasolo and de Goey are all part of our best forward structure and Wells is one of our most creative who amplifies the abilities of those around him because of his intelligent ball use.

Given the notable forward line players available for Hawthorn we were always going to be in trouble unless we could dominate the midfield possession.

We didn't and I'm afraid it was game over.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Raw Hammer »

Man, watching the way Melb and Geel outnumber contests at half back and actually have one of their players sit off the pack to grab the ensuing front and centre crumbs makes me ill at what we have going at Collingwood.
Est. 2002
Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Dave The Man »

AN_Inkling wrote:Our trading has been excellent. Drafting good, though with a lot of recent bad luck with injuries.

and Development been nothing but Terrible
I am Da Man
K

Post by K »

Raw Hammer wrote:Man, watching the way Melb and Geel outnumber contests at half back and actually have one of their players sit off the pack to grab the ensuing front and centre crumbs makes me ill at what we have going at Collingwood.
But they did swap 3 OOFs in about half a minute in the dying stages of the game. Didn't that bring some joy to your heart?
slangman
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by slangman »

- Side By Side -
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by piedys »

Raw Hammer wrote:Man, watching the way Melb and Geel outnumber contests at half back and actually have one of their players sit off the pack to grab the ensuing front and centre crumbs makes me ill at what we have going at Collingwood.
Was thinking the same thing; oh and Melbourne just claimed WCE's spot in the 8 for 2018, despite Geebung winning by default. Failing that, I can see no other likely changes to the final 8 from 2017.
What the season will become is simply now a juxtaposition exercise of exactly where in the 8 those teams will finish by the end of H&A season.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Raw Hammer »

K wrote:
But they did swap 3 OOFs in about half a minute in the dying stages of the game. Didn't that bring some joy to your heart?
That's got nothing to do with structure, instruction, or smarts. They were simply tired legs and poor execution. But yes, it was one ugly minute of football.
Est. 2002
K

Post by K »

^ Yes, fatigue must have played a significant part, I think.