Terror attacks by Islamist groups

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

luvdids

Post by luvdids »

None.

I don't go looking for that stuff. I also often don't read it when it's there. There's enough doom & gloom in the world without actively seeking it. I could think of many things worth obsessing over, this isn't one of them.
Mountains Magpie

Post by Mountains Magpie »

Well done Skids.

Let's not forget the civillians killed in Iraq and Syria over the last 48 hours at the hands of the USA, the people Mattis openly shrugs his shoulders at.

MM
Spiral progress, unstoppable,
exhausted sources replaced by perversion
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Mountains Magpie wrote:Well done Skids.

Let's not forget the civillians killed in Iraq and Syria over the last 48 hours at the hands of the USA, the people Mattis openly shrugs his shoulders at.

MM
Add Yemen from Saudi & we begin to widen the picture (US arms sales to saudi of course should not be mentioned).

However, this belongs in the islamic terror thread.

Having said that, Muslims kill more muslims than non muslims do: I'm not too sure what that means but it is certainly true.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Skids »

luvdids wrote:None.

I don't go looking for that stuff. I also often don't read it when it's there. There's enough doom & gloom in the world without actively seeking it. I could think of many things worth obsessing over, this isn't one of them.
I'm simply highlighting how selective main stream media is.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

What is stopping you?
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Skids wrote:
luvdids wrote:I guess the fact that you know about them, and provided links to stories about them, means they have been noticed.
You could think that. But unless you specifically name the city and country with 'attack', a simple search won't bring it up.

If you type in "Latest terrorist attack", you will get a few pages of the UK attack and then all sorts of other, what must be.... :? stuff that we need to know,.... I guess :shock:

Since the Manchester attack, on the 22nd, there have been 18 Islamic terrorist attacks, in 10 different countries, that have resulted in; 185 dead & a further 134 injured...

How many had you heard of before you saw this thread again?

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/atta ... ?Yr=Last30
Lets correct a few mistakes & errors

1. Two of the three you mentioned to luvdids were in fact in mainstream media so let's put that piece of bullshit to bed. In fact I drew attention to it by adding it to the Islamic terror thread (your thread) where this should be, with the relevant attribution (I posted a link to mainstream media source).

2. You yourself have quoted the Guardian - again mainstream news for the last of the three. No one's hiding anything & of course in western news, western news will dominate.

3. Luvdid's point remains - the fact that you easily sourced it means that it is not hidden anywhere.

However, your point that Islamic fundamentalists (not the vast majority of Muslims) are murdering others is a good one to make but it is more convincing when taken with wider issues going on such as what is going on Yemen etc.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

MM
Who ? Mattis has shrugged his shoulders at killing terrorists and extremists. Hardly the same as murdering a bus load of civilians including children.
Two more flags before I die!
Mountains Magpie

Mugwump wrote:Hardly the same as murdering a bus load of civilians including children.
Yeh, tell that to the parents/children/etc. of those who've been murdered.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/civ ... ar-BBBBvIz

MM
stui magpie
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by stui magpie »

watt price tully wrote:

MM
Add Yemen from Saudi & we begin to widen the picture (US arms sales to saudi of course should not be mentioned).

However, this belongs in the islamic terror thread.

Having said that, Muslims kill more muslims than non muslims do: I'm not too sure what that means but it is certainly true.
Put it together and you seem to have that Muslims, of the extremeist variety or not, are currently killing more people in terror style attacks in the name of religion, than all the other religions combined.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

Mountains Magpie wrote:
Mugwump wrote:Hardly the same as murdering a bus load of civilians including children.
Yeh, tell that to the parents/children/etc. of those who've been murdered.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/civ ... ar-BBBBvIz

MM
In the article, Mattis says that civilian deaths are inevitable in war, but that we should do everything humanly possible to avoid them. This is true and the only civilized response to that truth, once you conclude that we should help the Iraqi government to defeat Isis.

How profoundly dishonest, to call Mattis's comment a "shoulder shrug" and equate it with the deliberate murder of people for the purposes of terror and religious genocide !

It is better to think, just a bit, before posting.
Mountains Magpie

Mugwump wrote:It is better to think, just a bit, before posting.
Indeed it is, that someone may have a viewpoint on these matters that differs from yours.

I perfectly respect your right to believe that Mattis and the Government he works for are civilized and that they are doing what they can to defeat ISIS with minimum civilian cost. I just don't agree with your opinion.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

^ we're all entitled to opinions, MM. But if you cannot see the difference between the statement that "civilian casualties are inevitable in war, but we should do all that is humanly possible to avoid them" (you called this murder, I note) and machine-gunning a bus full of civilians including children because of religious hatred, then I must question the validity of your opinions in this area.
Skids

Post by Skids »

Mugwump wrote:^ we're all entitled to opinions, MM. But if you cannot see the difference between the statement that "civilian casualties are inevitable in war, but we should do all that is humanly possible to avoid them" (you called this murder, I note) and machine-gunning a bus full of civilians including children because of religious hatred, then I must question the validity of your opinions in this area.
Somewhat.... clouded perhaps :?
Skids

Post by Skids »

watt price tully wrote:
Skids wrote:
luvdids wrote:I guess the fact that you know about them, and provided links to stories about them, means they have been noticed.
You could think that. But unless you specifically name the city and country with 'attack', a simple search won't bring it up.

If you type in "Latest terrorist attack", you will get a few pages of the UK attack and then all sorts of other, what must be.... :? stuff that we need to know,.... I guess :shock:

Since the Manchester attack, on the 22nd, there have been 18 Islamic terrorist attacks, in 10 different countries, that have resulted in; 185 dead & a further 134 injured...

How many had you heard of before you saw this thread again?

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/atta ... ?Yr=Last30
Lets correct a few mistakes & errors

1. Two of the three you mentioned to luvdids were in fact in mainstream media so let's put that piece of bullshit to bed. In fact I drew attention to it by adding it to the Islamic terror thread (your thread) where this should be, with the relevant attribution (I posted a link to mainstream media source).

2. You yourself have quoted the Guardian - again mainstream news for the last of the three. No one's hiding anything & of course in western news, western news will dominate.

3. Luvdid's point remains - the fact that you easily sourced it means that it is not hidden anywhere.

However, your point that Islamic fundamentalists (not the vast majority of Muslims) are murdering others is a good one to make but it is more convincing when taken with wider issues going on such as what is going on Yemen etc.
You can call bullshit all you like WPT, but, did you try the google search criteria I quoted & how many of the attacks, since Manchester, had you heard of, or seen on the news? Honestly, answer the highlighted bit of the quote..... the 18 attacks in 10 other countries that killed or injured another 319 people..... it's been a week after all.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

You're at least half-right on this, Skids: the mainstream media do indeed heavily underreport terror attacks in distant countries, to the extent that the vast majority of Western people are oblivious to them having occurred. But if you're thinking it's some kind of conspiracy to protect Islam's reputation, you couldn't be more wrong. The reason they're underreported is partially because they're much more commonplace, but mostly for the same reason we hear so little about casualties of America air strikes, or, really, just about anything that happens in non-Anglo-European countries at all: that kind of news doesn't sell.

Why that is so is an interesting question, and one I tried to address, for instance, in this thread here:

http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?p=1642259

I just wish that the people who run your terrorism tracker showed anywhere near as much concern for Middle-Eastern, African and South Asian lives when political mileage can't be made from them.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange