What's the last movie you watched?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by stui magpie »

Doh. Kurt Russell (slaps forehead)

Haven't seen the hateful 8 yet, it's on Netflix so I'll have to give it a look one night.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

Hmmm the kurt Russell one sounds good, ta
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by stui magpie »

TP as Zoe the cat in the sequel. :P
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Whoa I just watched the car chase and ending, yeah nah, that reminds me of The Hitcher (1986 not the terrible 2007 remake), the kind of movie that could actually happen, and there would be nothing you can do about it! Terrifying stuff! Since I'm planning some more road tripping around the States, I won't watch the whole movie right now!

As for Zoe, oh man she's brave, no way I'd do that, but I'd kill for that arse!

Off to see hidden figures tonight, using up the last of the gold class tickets hubby got for his birthday last year, I reckon I'll be asleep in 15 mins! I wanted to see XXX the return of Xander Cage, not sure how I copped to this instead!
luvdids

Post by luvdids »

Watched The Accountant on the plane to Dubai. Really enjoyed it, and I'm far from a Ben Affleck fan. 8/10
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

Has anyone here seen Nocturnal Animals, and if so, did you get what was supposed to be going on?
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

David wrote:Has anyone here seen Nocturnal Animals, and if so, did you get what was supposed to be going on?
Yes and yes.

Who's the dummy now. :lol:
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
David

Post by David »

OK, lay it out for me. Is the whole thing (writing the novel, sending it to his ex and then standing her up at dinner) just an act of revenge on Edward's part? Because if so, that's just about the most ridiculous premise I've ever heard.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
swoop42

Post by swoop42 »

David wrote:OK, lay it out for me. Is the whole thing (writing the novel, sending it to his ex and then standing her up at dinner) just an act of revenge on Edward's part? Because if so, that's just about the most ridiculous premise I've ever heard.
Really?

Did you see it coming or were you expecting happy ever after?

I think she did and so did most of audience.

Did she deserve it though?

I don't think so.

The film is about the consequences of decisions and feelings of loss by the actions of others.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Hidden figures, will win awards, good cast, Costner is great the lead women brilliant, indeed the women portrayed are really amazing, important movie
(Fell asleep three times!)
David

Post by David »

swoop42 wrote:
David wrote:OK, lay it out for me. Is the whole thing (writing the novel, sending it to his ex and then standing her up at dinner) just an act of revenge on Edward's part? Because if so, that's just about the most ridiculous premise I've ever heard.
Really?

Did you see it coming or were you expecting happy ever after?

I think she did and so did most of audience.

Did she deserve it though?

I don't think so.

The film is about the consequences of decisions and feelings of loss by the actions of others.
I didn't know what to expect! I don't mind a film leaving me puzzled (in fact, some of the best films do leave questions unanswered), but I just find that explanation by far the most likely one and also totally bizarre. I mean, what kind of revenge is standing up someone at a bar? And if we're to buy this concept, does that mean that the novel is supposed to be a metaphor for their relationship (because if so, ookay, being broken up with is totally comparable to your wife and daughter being raped and killed!)?
swoop42

Post by swoop42 »

I downloaded La La Land for my mum but she didn't think it was anything special.

I haven't seen it so I could be wrong but it strikes me as one of those movies that critics love because it's celebrating the world in which the live of Hollywood and how wonderfully fabulous they all are (or so they think).
David

Post by David »

think positive

Post by think positive »

I just read the synopsis for nocturnal animals on wiki, sounds like they got married, she didn't think much of his writing ability, she cheated, left him, aborted his baby so she was free to marry the new guy, he gets really upset, channels that in to a reallly really nasty book, he send her a copy to 1, prove he has talent, and 2, scare her a bit! She takes a look in the mirror, realises she's not a very nice person, arranges to meet him to get closure or something, but he has filled the hole in his soul, and moves on!

The fat women are probably symbolising all those apparently unhappily married plumpish housewives that cheat and go to the doctor Phil show to feel normal about their crappy lives!

Ps I love Jake, but I wouldn't watch that movie!
David

Post by David »

I don't think you'd like it much! Honestly, I'm not sure if I did either. Still trying to work through my thoughts on it.