Australia day to be celebrated on the 28th Jan.

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Describe your surroundings.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Mugwump wrote:No, not equating reform with revolution - Conservarives have often been in the vanguard of reform. Erasing important events from your nation's history is not reform, however. It is very very reminiscent of the formulation of 1984 - who controls the past controls the present, and who controls the preeent. Bottoms the future. etc. As I said, those who want to experiment with the future hate the past because the ordinary natural human attachment to it forms a kind of popular oppositional memory. In any event, the really key point remains the irrefutable one that the greatest influence on the successful look,feel and political nature of modern Australia is the British settlement commencing in1788. It takes a lot of propaganda to whitewash that reality. Fortunately the Australian people still seem attached to their real history.
That is really overstating it in my view & where the reactionaries get it all wrong. The section I've highlighted is gilding the lily just a smidgen & smacks of polemics. "The Australian people" indeed Mugwump :lol:
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Presti35
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by Presti35 »

Lets just blow the Earth up and be done with it.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

What day did Russell Morris record "The Real Thing"?
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

watt price tully wrote:
Mugwump wrote:No, not equating reform with revolution - Conservarives have often been in the vanguard of reform. Erasing important events from your nation's history is not reform, however. It is very very reminiscent of the formulation of 1984 - who controls the past controls the present, and who controls the preeent. Bottoms the future. etc. As I said, those who want to experiment with the future hate the past because the ordinary natural human attachment to it forms a kind of popular oppositional memory. In any event, the really key point remains the irrefutable one that the greatest influence on the successful look,feel and political nature of modern Australia is the British settlement commencing in1788. It takes a lot of propaganda to whitewash that reality. Fortunately the Australian people still seem attached to their real history.
That is really overstating it in my view & where the reactionaries get it all wrong. The section I've highlighted is gilding the lily just a smidgen & smacks of polemics. "The Australian people" indeed Mugwump :lol:
I'm sure it is overstating it in your view. Would you mind explaining the sneering last line in your post , though ? I would have thought it obvious that celebrations of Australia Day on 26 January are as enthusiastic today as ever.
Two more flags before I die!
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Mugwump wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
I'm sure it is overstating it in your view. Would you mind explaining the sneering last line in your post , though ? I would have thought it obvious that celebrations of Australia Day on 26 January are as enthusiastic today as ever.
No sneering whatsoever & I'm surprised at ur interpretation of what I posted. It read to me as being a tad gradiose if not presumptuous as though you were speaking on behalf of the " people of Australia" - like a politician.

I was just waiting for you to drape yourself with the Australian flag 😜

From my iPhone - (I note this in case of accidental typos)
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

^ fair enough, thanks for explaining and yes I can see how it might have sounded. I bridled as I suspected you were questioning my australianness just because I live abroad. I can see that you were not. Thanks
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

Mugwump wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
Mugwump wrote: As for being ruled by the Spanish, Morrigu, was it the tapas, the Rioja, the successive military coups or the Fascism that first attracted you ? :wink:.
:lol: :lol:

Hmmm initially I think it was the devilishly handsome men speaking a musical language - but then they produced Rioja wine, Jerez sherry, tapas and paella- SOLD!! :P
To channel Blackadder further, "what made you do it ? Was it the pumpernickel, or the thought of hanging around with big men in leather shorts" ??
Ah so you suspect me eh Mug - no I am nought but an Irish Darling :lol:
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

Pies4shaw wrote:What day did Russell Morris record "The Real Thing"?
Day? Molly spent months fiddling with that in the studio, including adding the Hitler Youth boys choir toward the end.

1 day is plenty, don't need months, thanks. :wink:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

This here's the wattle, the emblem of our land. You can stick it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand.

Forget the motherland..........

:wink: :P
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

Pies4shaw wrote:What day did Russell Morris record "The Real Thing"?
Long long long ago when he was oh so cute!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!