What's the last movie you watched?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

CarringbushCigar
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by CarringbushCigar »

luvdids wrote:The Revenant.

Took me a while to figure out if I liked it or not, driving home in a sort of trance, like, what did I just watch? But answer is yes, I liked it. Bit gruesome in parts, but in keeping with the story, not gratuitous. Leo was very good.
Time went fast too, usually with longer movies I'm ready for them to end ages before they do, this one surprised me when it ended.

I'd give it 4 out of 5 I think.
Pretty simple story when u boil it all down but must be favourite for the Cinematography award. Just stunning and would be amazing on the big screen.
Includes one of the best scenes of all time I'd suggest if u can keep your eyes open.
Amazing stuff.
8/10
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

David wrote:I really must see it! Only ever watched the one Visconti film, Rocco and His Brothers. I've heard this one is stylistically very different, though. Maybe I'll come along next week. :)

Also, TP, lol. Very funny. :lol:
Next week is a Visconti double billing:

Ossessione (1943) followed by Bellisima (1952)

I haven't seen either nor had I seen The Leopard - although we studied the book at school.

I'm a fan & I liked Rocco & his brothers.
Last edited by watt price tully on Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
think positive
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

We studied I can jump puddles by Alan someone

We were supposed to read chant of jimmy blacksmith and something else, both of which I passed on as new I believe

Something about a roof? Flies? Nope lost it
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

^ My mum made me read I Can Jump Puddles. Weirdly enough, there's a Czech film adaptation of it, in case absolutely nobody's interested. :lol:

I believe Fiddler on the Roof and Lord of the Flies might be the titles you're looking for? ;) The latter is a great book (all kids should read it, preferably when they're really young for added trauma). As for Fiddler on the Roof, this is all you need to know about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7avw2B3b1Q
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
luvdids

Post by luvdids »

CarringbushCigar wrote:
luvdids wrote:The Revenant.

Took me a while to figure out if I liked it or not, driving home in a sort of trance, like, what did I just watch? But answer is yes, I liked it. Bit gruesome in parts, but in keeping with the story, not gratuitous. Leo was very good.
Time went fast too, usually with longer movies I'm ready for them to end ages before they do, this one surprised me when it ended.

I'd give it 4 out of 5 I think.
Pretty simple story when u boil it all down but must be favourite for the Cinematography award. Just stunning and would be amazing on the big screen.
Includes one of the best scenes of all time I'd suggest if u can keep your eyes open.
Amazing stuff.
8/10
I did for the scene I assume you're talking about, covered them in other parts.
I'd be interested to know the actual story, since it's based on a true story, how much is actual & how much is embellished...
think positive

Post by think positive »

David wrote:^ My mum made me read I Can Jump Puddles. Weirdly enough, there's a Czech film adaptation of it, in case absolutely nobody's interested. :lol:

I believe Fiddler on the Roof and Lord of the Flies might be the titles you're looking for? ;) The latter is a great book (all kids should read it, preferably when they're really young for added trauma). As for Fiddler on the Roof, this is all you need to know about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7avw2B3b1Q
Went to see fiddler on the roof live with that Russian guy, pa marmos mum organised it. Really good sleep!

Nah that wasn't it, I actually liked I can jump puddles, saw a movie of it, wasn't bad, but I think it was an ozzie one.
stui magpie
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by stui magpie »

Deadpool.

Yeah, it was good but geez, Wham? :P
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

We enjoyed The Big Short a couple of weeks back. It takes a geeky topic to a popular audience in a very entertaining way.

Christian Bale's interpretation of Michael Burry was good value having watched many interviews with the latter.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
David

Post by David »

One of my mentors at last year's film festival, Kevin B. Lee, did a great video essay on that film (and why, in his view, it should win the best picture award at the Oscars). I'm yet to see it, but this piqued my interest:

https://vimeo.com/154236446
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive

Post by think positive »

The Poseidon adventure, followed by earthquake! All it needed was the towering inferno for the trifecta! Corny but still watchable, especially the first one! offon a short cruise I a few weeks, note to self, walk to the prop shaft!
King Monkey
Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

Post by King Monkey »

stui magpie wrote:Deadpool.

Yeah, it was good but geez, Wham? :P
Bugger me, haven't had a chance to head down to see it yet..... :evil:

Was flicking channels on Foxtel the other night and we settled on - Project Almanac.
Not bad at all. Hardly going to be remembered as a classic, but an entertaining way to spend a couple of hours.
A tad cliched in parts, but they play with those cliches in a fun way.

EDIT:
F l i c k i n g censored to "damn"??? WTF?? Lol.
"I am a great sage, equal of heaven.
Grow stick, grow.
Fly cloud, fly.
Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
stui magpie
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

I don't like going to the cinema, I prefer to watch it at home in comfort where I can eat and drink what I want and not have to put up with other people around me.

Got a cam version, not great but watchable.

I'll wait for the Directors cut DVD before I buy it. :wink:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive

Post by think positive »

The way we were
Just waiting for the end to hear Barbara sing!
Gees Redford was cute!
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Saw Visconti's 1943 film: "Ossessione" tonight. Too tired to watch the second film.

Great stuff.

Apparently Mussolini was none too impressed when it first came out. Very sexual film in some ways & based loosely in some ways on the "Postman knocks twice".

Another story has it that Mussolini's son walked out 1/2 way saying this isn't Italian.

Some annotations about the film: in every film showing at the Cinematheque, film goers can read some well written & well referenced pieces about the film which are printed on a double sided A 4 page.

An example was this weeks annotations on the film:

http://sensesofcinema.com/2016/cteq/ossessione/
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
David

Post by David »

Thanks for posting that, WPT! I've written the annotation for the Jean Rouch film screening on the 11th of May, so keep an eye out for it if you make it to that one. :)