What's the last movie you watched?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 47 times

Post by David »

Haha. On the proviso that they understood that I disagree with nearly everything they stand for, and they were ok with that, why not? :mrgreen:
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

David wrote:Haha. On the proviso that they understood that I disagree with nearly everything they stand for, and they were ok with that, why not? :mrgreen:
Works for Turnbull. :wink:
Dangles

Post by Dangles »

Nice work, David.

@Woko:What are the names of some of those 1% of art films that you liked?
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

I'll have to take that under advisement Dangles and get back to you, can't think of titles off the top of my head, but they're in there somewhere.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Being John Malkovich, Amelie, Pan's Labyrinth and Donnie Darko all come to mind, Studio Ghibli animations, Leon the Professional.

They might be a bit more 'mainstream' that you're looking for but I struggle to think of the more artsy stuff I've seen (of which there have been a lot), it just doesn't resonate with me even when I can appreciate the nuance, technical skill, metaphor etc, the pretense tends to put me off.
think positive
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

Just bought fast and furious 7. Now that's art!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
King Monkey
Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

Post by King Monkey »

You went to trouble of dissecting the article quote by quote; I'd say it may have hit a nerve....... LMAO!! :lol: :lol:
"I am a great sage, equal of heaven.
Grow stick, grow.
Fly cloud, fly.
Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
David

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^^^ Well, of course it hits a nerve - cultural Luddites like that are the enemy of our civilization, probably even more so than numbats like ISIS, because they attack from within and, worse still, from a position of militant, sustained stupidity. Really, who ever taste-tested cornflakes by reading the blurb on the back of the packet?

It really doesn't matter whether 99% of what is produced as "arty" cinema or "arty" static visual art or "arty" music or "arty" theatre leaves most (or even all) people cold. The struggle to produce thoughtful, creative and interesting new work is important, in and of itself.

Thus, as it happens, I have no particular interest, at the moment, in spending lots of time watching "difficult" cinema but I'm pleased that it is happening and that people do go to see it.

I imagine that my taste in cinema is now unacceptably old-fashioned but films I saw for the first time 40 or 50 years ago still live in my mind and fashion my everyday thinking. The Seventh Seal, Pather Panchali and Aparajito, Rashomon, Dodeskaden, Seven Samurai, The Hidden Fortress, Dersu Uzala and Kagemusha and virtually anything Luis Bunuel made, along with a raft of others, are landmarks in their particular art.

Personally, I don't think of it as "either or", so I'm also happy to watch Ant Man - and enjoy it thoroughly.

Thus, it's still funny to call out "Somebody just threw a bone at our spaceship" when that famous scene-change occurs in 2001, provided you remember that you're just making a joke and that your carefully-fashioned determination not to understand the film you're watching (or, in her case, reading about) doesn't make you more interesting than the film.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

How much more could it be?
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

"Daisy, Daisy ...."
David

Post by David »

Pies4shaw wrote:I imagine that my taste in cinema is now unacceptably old-fashioned but films I saw for the first time 40 or 50 years ago still live in my mind and fashion my everyday thinking. The Seventh Seal, Pather Panchali and Aparajito, Rashomon, Dodeskaden, Seven Samurai, The Hidden Fortress, Dersu Uzala and Kagemusha and virtually anything Luis Bunuel made, along with a raft of others, are landmarks in their particular art.
Baby Ingmar says hi. :)

I love Bunuel too. The Phantom of Liberty is still one of my favourites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll5nK2RV8uA
think positive
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

Well I love rear window, I'm sure there is another old one tucked in there!

How about campy movies you love?

Starship troopers. I never understood why it copped it so bad, I still love it!

Deep rising! Another not cool but I love it sci fi!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Dangles

Post by Dangles »

David

Post by David »

:lol: Nice work. Not sure you'll get a response, though.