What's the last movie you watched?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Dangles

Post by Dangles »

David wrote:
Dangles wrote:@David: You'll have to tell us what your favourite films at MIFF were when it finishes. Sadly I only ended up getting to one film even though I'd bought tickets for two.
Here you go: :)

1. The Forbidden Room
2. Cemetery of Splendour
3. Heaven Knows What
4. Corn Island
5. Hill of Freedom
6. In the Shadow of Women
7. The Look of Silence
8. Love
9. Under Electric Clouds
10. The Smell of Us

Hopefully a few of those will get regular cinema releases in the months to come!
Thanks for the recommendations.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 47 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

Dark Beanie wrote:Has anyone seen any new mainstream releases?

Man from UNCLE
Last cab to Darwin

Have some Gold Class tickets to use and interested to know what people would recommend.
watched last cab the other night and have it pencilled in to see the man from uncle. a few friends of mine have suggested man from uncle is good for a laugh.

last cab was good. there was the odd occasion when a scene felt it was incongruent to the rest of the story but overall a good story. it makes you realise or reminds you how big australia is.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Thanks JW.

Reviews of Man from UNCLE haven't been good, maybe one to watch on DVD. Last Cab sounded interesting.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

last cab is reasonably thought provoking. nice mix of light hearted moments. some good acting by caton. there is also quite a few familiar faces. bt has a cameo and shouldn't give up his day job based on what i saw.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
King Monkey
Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

Post by King Monkey »

David wrote:Good to see Susie O'Brien of the Herald Sun enjoyed the festival too.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=au

Frankly, most of these movies would be considered unwatchable by anyone other than 25-year-old female ceramicists from Brunswick.
This statement is soooo close.
You moved to Hampton didn't you David?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I am a great sage, equal of heaven.
Grow stick, grow.
Fly cloud, fly.
Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
think positive
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

King Monkey wrote:
David wrote:Good to see Susie O'Brien of the Herald Sun enjoyed the festival too.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=au

Frankly, most of these movies would be considered unwatchable by anyone other than 25-year-old female ceramicists from Brunswick.
This statement is soooo close.
You moved to Hampton didn't you David?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Zing!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Yes, people with money shouldn't be allowed to spend it on cinema of their choice. They should be forced to watch re-runs of Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves.

A little exchange in the episode of Endeavour I was watching last night (set in 1964) sums up people like Susie O'Brien:

Morse: "I have two tickets for the new Bergman film."
Answer: "Oh, yes - I loved her in Casablanca". :wink:

I wonder what brand of haute-moccasin she prefers.
King Monkey
Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

Post by King Monkey »

Lol.
Can't take a bit of a poke in the ribs????? :lol:

I think she was basically trying to be funny and embracing her inner bogan at the same time.
No need to be so sensitive.
"I am a great sage, equal of heaven.
Grow stick, grow.
Fly cloud, fly.
Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Oops. Too much data.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Susie O'Brien hits the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned and I don't say that about her often. I was actually somewhat interested in seeing her Russian post apocalyptic tale, sounded a bit like The Road, was kind of disappointed it wasn't real :lol:

It's just like, my opinion man, but I firmly believe that 'cinema as art' is 99% pure wankery. Those 1% of 'art' films that hit it out of the park though, oh boy do I get the love of art cinema in those moments. They just pop up so rarely among all the self important bullshit that it's like finding a gold nugget when you step in a dog turd, and I'm not squishing my toes through 100 turds to find it.
David

Post by David »

King Monkey wrote:Lol.
Can't take a bit of a poke in the ribs????? :lol:

I think she was basically trying to be funny and embracing her inner bogan at the same time.
No need to be so sensitive.
Not sure if that post is directed at P4S or me, but I wasn't offended at all by her article - I just thought it was very funny in its clueless, "peak Herald Sun" way. Of course, if her opinions actually had any influence on government policy (like, say, cutting the festival's funding) then I'd probably be less amused.
David

Post by David »

Wokko wrote:Susie O'Brien hits the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned and I don't say that about her often. I was actually somewhat interested in seeing her Russian post apocalyptic tale, sounded a bit like The Road, was kind of disappointed it wasn't real :lol:

It's just like, my opinion man, but I firmly believe that 'cinema as art' is 99% pure wankery. Those 1% of 'art' films that hit it out of the park though, oh boy do I get the love of art cinema in those moments. They just pop up so rarely among all the self important bullshit that it's like finding a gold nugget when you step in a dog turd, and I'm not squishing my toes through 100 turds to find it.
Well, you know, each to their own. That kind of cinema (well, at least a great deal of it) has always excited me in a way that I just don't get with most mainstream American films. When I'm watching a Hollywood movie, I often just feel frustrated or bored by the formulaic plots, over-the-top soundtracks or (in my mind) bad dialogue. If that was all there was to cinema, then I don't think I'd even be casually interested in movies. I'd probably be into comic books, or something.

Anyway, I've never judged or disparaged people for liking what they like. I'm not about to go and tell Susie O'Brien that she needs to watch more art films. Art is, basically, entertainment. If you don't enjoy a certain form or style of art or entertainment, you should pursue one that's more to your liking. That's what I did, and I've never asked for any special favours for it or used it as a platform to look down on ordinary moviegoers. It's a passion, basically, and that passion is the reason that I - and many tens of thousands of other Australian cinephiles - are so thankful for the two short weeks of the year when the film festival is on.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Are you sure you didn't miss your calling with the Young Liberals David? Ever the consummate politician, you could've added some much needed civility to Parliament, arts minister in the next Coalition government after the loons are cleaned out in 4-5 years time :lol: