What's the last movie you watched?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 47 times

Post by David »

A Polish film, Mother Joan of the Angels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIAgK8575kE

Not sure if anyone's ever seen The Devils by Ken Russell, but it's based on the same source text (about a mediaeval convent in which the nuns all become "possessed". Remarkably, most of the events described in both films actually happened.

By the way, if you ever want to see a film about the horror, madness and irrationality of institutionalised religious belief, The Devils is it. Not for the faint of heart or easily offended, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_adZYBwfkY
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

Hmm yeah, I'll, um, put them on my, um, lost, um, somewhere!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

David wrote:A Polish film, Mother Joan of the Angels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIAgK8575kE

Not sure if anyone's ever seen The Devils by Ken Russell, ......
Yep, 1982 in Jerusalem with Mrs WPT in an arthouse theatre. The film was screened with Arabic, Hebrew & French subtitles - there was room for the film too!!
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 47 times

Post by David »

Lol, that would have been quite an experience! I'm guessing this version didn't feature the notorious "Rape of Christ" sequence. ;)
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
watt price tully

David wrote:Lol, that would have been quite an experience! I'm guessing this version didn't feature the notorious "Rape of Christ" sequence. ;)
You're asking me to recall a film I saw 33 years ago :wink: The experience I do recall, feeling unsettled I do recall, & we probably went close to the via Delarosa to have coffee & cake as well as do some haggling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL5umhd6v9s
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Dangles

Post by Dangles »

Watched Thunderbolt and Lightfoot again for the first time in years yesterday. It was fantastic. Eastwood was in some great films in the 70s.
stui magpie
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by stui magpie »

Dangles wrote:Watched Thunderbolt and Lightfoot again for the first time in years yesterday. It was fantastic. Eastwood was in some great films in the 70s.
I did a double take when I read that, then I remembered that I'd seen the movie too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7KVPZcDoLo
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Dangles

Post by Dangles »

stui magpie wrote:
Dangles wrote:Watched Thunderbolt and Lightfoot again for the first time in years yesterday. It was fantastic. Eastwood was in some great films in the 70s.
I did a double take when I read that, then I remembered that I'd seen the movie too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7KVPZcDoLo
I got it for $6.95 at JB Hi Fi. I'd recommend it to anyone who loves classic 70s films.
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

I watched Jurassic World at the cinema, I got dragged along to view it in Gold Class, the friend believed that I had to go and see it. I tried hard to not go with her to see it, anyway when I was younger I wasn't a fan of the Jurassic Park movies, so I wasn't sure what to really expect.

It was a lot better than I thought it was going to be, and experiencing for the first time Gold Class was quite interesting as well. My next venture to the cinema might just be to see San Andreas, not sure yet.

I also watched all three terminators T2: Judgment Day is always going to be my favourite.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Will you celebrate?
think positive
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

The Prototype wrote:I watched Jurassic World at the cinema, I got dragged along to view it in Gold Class, the friend believed that I had to go and see it. I tried hard to not go with her to see it, anyway when I was younger I wasn't a fan of the Jurassic Park movies, so I wasn't sure what to really expect.

It was a lot better than I thought it was going to be, and experiencing for the first time Gold Class was quite interesting as well. My next venture to the cinema might just be to see San Andreas, not sure yet.

I also watched all three terminators T2: Judgment Day is always going to be my favourite.

Still wanting to see Jurassic, don't put too much on San Andreas, I'm a huge rock fan, huge action fan, and I thought the movie stunk! I actually laughed a couple of times when you were not meant too. Too corny.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Will you celebrate?
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

think positive wrote:Still wanting to see Jurassic, don't put too much on San Andreas, I'm a huge rock fan, huge action fan, and I thought the movie stunk! I actually laughed a couple of times when you were not meant too. Too corny.
I have seen a few of the friends who have seen it say it wasn't that good, I saw the trailer and it looked worth seeing so I may wait awhile to see it.

I might get all the Jurassic Parks now and see if my thoughts will change about the movies from the childhood.
Culprit
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Culprit »

My Latest viewing and scores.
Jurassic World - 3 out of 5
Mad Max Whatever it's called - 1 out of 5
Woman in Gold - 5 out of 5
Cinderella - 3 out of 5
watt price tully

Saw "The Grand Budapest Hotel".

Charming film. Saw it on blu ray at home.

Haven't seen a blu ray film for a while & I forgot how good the Plasma is for Blu ray & the sound was wonderful.

Delightful film, great production design & Wes Anderson's usual quirkiness.

Highly recommended. I think David mentioned this film when it first came out.

Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fg5iWmQjwk