Post by jackcass »

King Malta

Post by King Malta »

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 125 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

John Wren wrote:
John Wren wrote:av. of a bit over one goal a game. would we even notice?
just did some quick research, of pendles, swans, sidey and beams only beams has a goal kcking average above one per game. this surprised me. further to this, fyfe, selwood and co av. approx one goal per a game.
At the risk of inadvertently starting an intelligent discussion about who will kick Collingwood's goals, I am going to respond by quoting myself from May of 2013:
Pies4shaw wrote:In 2008, Malcolm Blight described Collingwood (immediately before a 100 point demolition of the Wiggles) as having the best four small forwards in the Game (then Didak, Davis, Medhurst and Thomas). That day, the 4 kicked 14 of 27 Collingwood goals.

In more recent times, I have been wondering what happened to the big spread of goalkickers Collingwood usually had in 2010 and 2011.

Going back over some stats, I noticed the following:

1. In the first 8 rounds of 2010, between one-half and two-thirds of the goals in each game came from players who have left or have been largely unavailable in 2012 or 2013 (Medhurst, Lockyer, Fraser Davis, Didak, O'Bree etc).

2. Looking at the 2010 finals (by which time, Medders, Tarks, Fraser and OB were not in the team), in the 3 wins (ie, ignoring the draw, when Collingwood only managed 9 goals), about a third of the goals in each game were contributed by players who have left or have been largely unavailable in 2013.

3. Looking at the 2011 finals, the position was that at least half of all Collingwood's finals goals came from such players (Krak was the biggest of those contributors, of course).

4. Looking at the side which took the park against Freo last week, only 2 players (Cloke, average a whisker under 1.7) and the Krak (Collingwood average of about 1.5) kick more than 1 goal per game. Lynch has a good career average but hasn't yet delivered anything like it at Collingwood.

5. None of the new small forwards in last week's match (Kennedy, Mooney, Dwyer, Elliott) has a goal per game average significantly over three-quarters of a goal per game.

6. By contrast, the Hawthorn team which flogged us earlier this year had Franklin (3.24 average), Breust (1.96), Roughead (1.85) and Gunston (1.69 - but even better at Hawthorn) with goal averages as good as or better than our best on the park last week. There are then other players (Hale, Hawthorn average of 1) and Rioli (1.33) and Smith (0.95) who do, roughly speaking, a goal per game or better.

Of course, such comparisons are of limited utility - one might, for example, point out that Hawthorn has a higher-scoring style of game (although that may also be a chicken and egg question). But, they do, perhaps, offer at least a part of the explanation for why Collingwood has found it very difficult to kick a winning score against the best opposition this year. If Hawthorn has its best 7 goal-kickers from round 2 on the park, it can reasonably expect 12 goals from them on average each game before worrying about what the other 15 players can contribute. By contrast, if Collingwood puts its best 7 goal-kickers from the Freo game on the park, it can expect about 6 or 7 goals from them.

Food for thought.
I mention this because I still think it's of critical importance to the team's improvement - I accept, of course, that to some extent good goal-kicking results are a consequence of good team play but I think it's very important to have a few players that the opposition has to watch closely around goals.

By way of update to my point 5, above, Elliott went at about 2 goals per game in 2014 (33 from 17 matches), as did Cloke (39 from 20), Beams went at his career average of a bit over 1 per game (23 from 19), Broomy kicked 9 from 8 and White kicked 20 from 18. Apart from Gault, who only made a cameo appearance, no-one on the list went at a goal a game or better in 2014. Reid probably would have (he kicked 25 from 22 games in 2013 but, of course, didn't play forward the whole time) but we really need to develop some forwards who hit the scoreboard (metaphorically speaking - we have a few too many who can hit it actually when they're supposed to be shooting for goal) more consistently.
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

Member 7167

Post by Member 7167 »

Now Retired - Every Day Is A Saturday
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

Shouldn't this thread be moved to "Other AFL"?
Well done boys!
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

it should be locked and buried.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
stoliboy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by stoliboy »

John Wren wrote:it should be locked and buried.
Not till we get it to 100 pages like the Cloke thread :-)
Sydney Collingwood Supporters Club
http://sydneymagpies.magpies.net/
Piesnchess
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Dayne Who ????
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
yin-YANG

Post by yin-YANG »

I think it will turn out well for the Pies and Brions...

I also think that he should have gone to the Copeland - I am sure the Pies will get stuck into him in rnd 1 2015 - send Swan his way to out tatt him!
Love us or Hate us... we are Collingwood - you can't ignore the Mighty Magpies!!!
bwphantom

Post by bwphantom »

Beams will enjoy playing in front of crowds of under 20000 along with artifical crowd noise generators. Brisbane are a rabble, and will be for quite sometime.

Leppa is a deluded tool in somehow thinking he was anything more than a fall back coach, sacked after 2015 after they finish 16th.
All this may be summed up in one word - CHARACTER - and if that is not worth developing, nothing is.

Jock McHale
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Big T »

i personally believe the Beams trade will mark the time when fortunes turned in our favour. We won that deal and time will prove it.
Last edited by Big T on Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buon Giorno
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

Beams really left Collingwood because he wanted to play with the caged Lion they're going to parade around the 'Gabba next year. We couldn't top that one bit.
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Big T »

The Prototype wrote:Beams really left Collingwood because he wanted to play with the caged Lion they're going to parade around the 'Gabba next year. We couldn't top that one bit.
Let's hope it's a male lion.
Buon Giorno
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

Piesnchess wrote:Dayne Who ????
It's Dane, Dane Swan.
Well done boys!