ASADA & the AFL acted lawfully: Hird & Essendon lose

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by Jezza »

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/new-pu ... 7065167570

This was published two days ago in the Herald Sun but I think Hird's dead man walking!

Essendon would be crazy to appeal the decision of the Federal Court and their biggest mistake in all of this was re-signing the golden boy when he was banned for 12 months from the game last year in August. They should have cut their losses with him as soon as he was suspended rather than sticking by him because he's a revered club legend.
πŸ† | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | πŸ†
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 89 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Jezza wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/new-push-to-dump-james-hird-from-essendon-could-see-him-sacked-before-christmas/story-fni0fiyv-1227065167570

This was published two days ago in the Herald Sun but I think Hird's dead man walking!

Essendon would be crazy to appeal the decision of the Federal Court and their biggest mistake in all of this was re-signing the golden boy when he was banned for 12 months from the game last year in August. They should have cut their losses with him as soon as he was suspended rather than sticking by him because he's a revered club legend.
100% correct Jezza every legal opinion I've heard is they are at very long odds of having any success in an appeal.
So this leaves them with very few options in realality.
The players have come out through the AFLPA and said they won't deal under any circumstances. So there won't be a discount on any penalty. My belief is the players have been brain washed by Hird and Essendon that they did nothing wrong.
Well apparently ASADA don't agree at all and the soon to issued infraction notices will be the icing on this dung heap of a mess.
If the players continually walk this path they are on a very slippery slope.
Firstly the players need to prove unequivocally they didn't take any substance that was illicit. Secondly with Essendon admitting and been proven they don't know what the players were given the players have nil chance of being able to prove this.
Finally ASADA in the sharks case had similar evidence and stated that no player can definitely prove they weren't given any illicit substance hence the offer of reduced sentences and them being back dated.
Surely with the players not being able to absolutely prove they never received an illicit substance (especially after Jobe Watson admitted on national TV he had) they should be exploring all avenues to get the same style deal the sharks in the NRL got.
But no Hird and Little have the players believing they are completely safe which is a huge gamble on the players future.
I 100% believe the players never knowingly took any substance they believed to be illicit. They mistakingly followed the messiah down the path.
For Hird's part he wanted every advantage he could garner from pushing the boundaries with blind and reckless abandon and faith in Dank.
Now the only person who knows exactly what was given was Dank and he has remained completely silent. If he had absolute proof they never received any illicit substance he could easily produce the evidence and finalize this matter and at the same time clear his name.
As he has never produced evidence to dispelled these allegations and as refused to be interviewed one would assume he doesn't have any proof of the substances being legal.
So with this all said and done the players are gambling there careers on the basis of Hird's word and without any defining proof of there innocence.
I believe the players do believe they didn't cheat and that's fair but any fair minded legal opinion has said without definitive proof to the contrary they can't win.
As for the other elephant in the room Hird's coaching career.
There is 0% chance he can coach bummers next year. There is obviously a ego that has remained unchecked throughout his career and now that ego has risked the careers of any players just so he can feel justified in what he authorized.
His position is completely untenable as stated in many articles.
No wonder Essendon are desperate to keep bomber Thompson around they know full well once the players are issued with infraction notices and can't prove there complete innocence they will have to sack him.
He won't fall on his own sword his ego won't allow it. He won't admit there is the possibility that because of his negligence allowing Dank to completely run a systematically programmed peptide program that he failed the players at every turn.
Watsons admission on TV is enough to give credence to believe ASADA have the smoking gun or a suspicion that it exists. Now the players have been left to prove they didn't.
Good luck Essendon players I hope they all don't cop 2yrs out of this blind faith in Hird and the board.

Post by 1061 »

qldmagpie67 wrote: I 100% believe the players never knowingly took any substance they believed to be illicit. They mistakingly followed the messiah down the path.

C'mon, they signed a waiver admonishing their Messiah of all and any responsibility. This was not a few jabs in a few weeks, this was a 12 month long program and these guys knew what was going on. Why do you think the players are mostly standing behind the club, it's because IMO they know what went on was wrong and they were in the middle of it.
partypie

Post by partypie »

Hird taking off for the US last week says it all
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Leigh Matthews pretty much nailed it today. Time to clear the decks Bombers. Everyone associated with this whole sorry saga should go, Hird first. Essendon need a fresh start with a new group totally unattached from the drugs thing. They should employ Sanderson as their new coach or Vos.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

If Essendon had any brains they'd ask Hird to resign or sack him tomorrow and appoint Thompson as senior coach.

It's getting to the stage now where they might lose Thompson to the CGS and find themselves in a position where Hirds position is untenable in a couple of months time.

As someone who hates them I hope they take option 2.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Jezza

Post by Jezza »

Leigh Matthews is spot on about Hird! I'll be staggered if he's coaching the club next year to be honest.
πŸ† | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | πŸ†
qldmagpie67

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Jezza wrote:Leigh Matthews is spot on about Hird! I'll be staggered if he's coaching the club next year to be honest.
Exactly Jezza but now bomber Thompson came out on Monday night on 360 and when asked directly would he be at Essendon next season he hesitated and said he is unsure now. He said since the season had finished he had reevaluated his position and may chose to do something else he was undecided.
Then the question was posed had he been approached by another club he said no "I" haven't but he didn't say his management hadn't had any approaches.
I'm thinking with the suns "review" to be handed down today or tomorrow he is waiting to see if there is a position there. I called this 2 months ago they are perfectly placed for a bomber building infusion with th young talent depth they have and his very close association with Ablett and to a lesser extent Blight.
McKenna is a dead man walking which is a shame as I like the guy and think he can coach.
Robbo on 360 said the AFL might step in and assist the suns to get bomber with a $1.5-$1.7 million a season deal.
So much for equalization and making the competition fair.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

qldmagpie67

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Pies4shaw wrote:http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/mark-thompson-contacted-by-third-party-about-interest-in-coaching-gold-coast-suns-in-2015/story-fndv8hfz-1227075696214
Called it. Feel for bluey decent sought of bloke from all reports.
Thompson will coach them for sure list is there just needs some fine tuning and it's set for a few years of full on runs.
Interesting to see if Thompson wants Beams now to be the next king after Ablett or would he be happy with all the kids. Beams and Ablett together with there kids would make it a very imposing mid field for sure. They have talls but might need a experienced defender to compliment this group of youngsters.
Essendon however will now have no Thompson and with Hird surely to be shown the door who will want to coach that rabble with the uncertainty hanging over them.
Also be interested to know how much the AFL are prepared to chip for Thompson's salary !!
Proud Pies

Post by Proud Pies »

Bombers won't appeal, but selfish prick turd will

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/e ... 0op2e.html
Jacqui Β© Proud Pies 2003 and beyond
Bucks5
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Bucks5 »

I hope it bites him on the bum and the club sack him over it. I wonder who foots the bill for his legal costs this time?
How would Siri know when to answer "Hey Siri" unless it is listening in to everything you say?
Jezza

Post by Jezza »

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/h ... 1jxjt.html

Hird's appeal has began now and I'm sure Tania is still 'taking notes' :P
Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Said that Infraction Notices going out next week.

So we Finally find out who are the Cheats
I am Da Man
Jezza

Post by Jezza »

Dave The Man wrote:Said that Infraction Notices going out next week.

So we Finally find out who are the Cheats
I thought it was well-documented who the majority of the 34 players were that have been implicated in this saga?

But yes you're correct that infraction notes will be most likely issued some time next week.