#17,#11 Dayne Beams

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

CarringbushCigar
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by CarringbushCigar »

so if Brisbane don't budge from pick 4 and an upgraded 2nd round pick, which we all agree is way unders - What Happens ??

you think Beams will play and finish top 3 in the Copeland?

you want to have a bet?

if not - who is holding the stronger hand?

No doubt Brisbane holds A-K and we have an unsuited 8-6
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

CarringbushCigar wrote:so if Brisbane don't budge from pick 4 and an upgraded 2nd round pick, which we all agree is way unders - What Happens ??

you want to have a bet?

I think we'll settle for pick 4 and their second rounder.
Defender...........

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
CarringbushCigar

i don't think we have a choice because Beams might talk about the 1%
Stupied

Post by Stupied »

Brisbane have offered Beams $800k per year for 5 years. That would make him the highest paid player on their list. Logically that means they would consider him to be their best player if he moved.

To get a player of that calibre, you need to offer more than pick 4. I feel for Dayne and his family, but if Brisbane are going to be dicks and try to lowball us and take advantage of such a horrible situation, they can go and get $@&^#.
Harvey

Post by Harvey »

CarringbushCigar wrote:so if Brisbane don't budge from pick 4 and an upgraded 2nd round pick, which we all agree is way unders - What Happens ??

you want to have a bet?

Yep he will because he still loves the club. And even if he doesn't, he'll still play his best because he is a professional and loves playing footy.

Ryan O'Keefe wanted to be traded from Sydney in 2008 but ended up staying. He won the Sydney's B&F the next year in 2009. Nick Stevens desperately wanted to come to us but ended up being taken by Carlton. He came 2nd in their B&F in his first year at Carlton.

Happy to take the bet that Beams will play well next year if he stays with us. If he doesn't come top 3 in our B&F then great, it means we're phasing out our reliance on him and our other young midfielders are stepping up.
surfer1

Post by surfer1 »

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Harvey wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:Howdy all. Well I managed to catch up with Dayne's dad over the weekend.
I won't go into the conversation at any length due to it being a private conversation but suffice to say his illness issues are far from over.
I will however give up some insight into what has been a long running issue for Dayne.
His dads battle has been ongoing for the past several months and it has taken a huge personal toll on Dayne. Early on Dayne wasnt fully aware of the seriousness of the illness but more recently found out from his mother the true depth of what has happened.
The request for a trade came after Dayne spoke at length with both his father and mother as he was struggling to come to terms with the whole situation.
Dayne and his dad are very close and during the course of the year they club has been aware of his fathers battle and been very good to Dayne and his family.
I can confirm 100% this isn't about $$$ yes Dayne would receive more $$$ than his current contract but he would receive very close to the lions supposed offer if he remained at the pies.
This is all about a kid who wants to be close to his father.
The only part of the conversation I am prepared to recount is his father said that Dayne is fully aware that the pies are entitled to be fairly compensated in the trade process. He also stated that Eddie, Bucks and Pert had been nothing but totally supportive of Dayne during all this.
At the end of the day Dayne wouldn't be the only player in the history of the game to have to deal with a family issue and everyone handles it in there own way. No one even his harshest critic would be able say Dayne didn't give his absolute best at all times during the past season given the circumstances of his off field issues.
I am of the opinion now (and it's only MY opinion) that the club will do there best to facilitate a trade but if they can't reach a fair agreement Dayne will honour his contract and give nothing less than 100% each and every week as he has in every gem he has played for the club.
I know some will say I have only rehashed previously stated comments and in part that's true but unfortunately I am not willing to divulge the contents of our private conversations on here given the circumstances.
We can debate what's an acceptable trade to the cows come home and we can hope, wish and pray for them but please everyone think of this.
At the end of the day no matter what the trade outcome is it won't change the battle his father has faced or faces in the future.
Thanks for the update qldmagpie67. I think it's pretty clear that if Dayne's dad didn't have any of these health issues that he wouldn't have requested a trade back to Queensland. As Paul Connors said, it's "99%" the reason he wants to leave Collingwood.

I don't think any supporter can begrudge him that. What is concerning, and I guess what a lot of supporters like myself are trying to ascertain through your postings and through others that have "inside" knowledge of the situation, is how much of that "1%" had an influence in Beam's decision. Would he still have requested a trade if he was 100% happy at Collingwood and Heath hadn't been forced out last year and he liked Buck's coaching style? Or more to the point, how much truth is there to the whole "playing group isn't happy under Bucks" and whether that's just limited to the senior players that were part of the rat pack.
Mate to be honest the only discussions I've ever had with Dayne directly he has been very happy at collingwood. I haven't spoken to him directly in some months it's only ever off season when he is at home.
The fact he wants a trade from what I've been told is solely on the basis of his fathers health at the present time.
One thing I am aware of is J Mac's death hit him really hard like many other pies players. If you look at Dayne's maturing since that time has been huge both on and off the field. I guess this could have some impact on him in hindsight not wanting to be left without a opportunity to say good bye again who knows what goes on inside various people's minds.
Back to topic
Whether its gold coast or lions the club deals with isn't important to me the club needs to get the best possible deal they can. I would believe Brisbane have far more cap space than the suns thinking of all the likes of O'Meara Preista, Dixon, May, Swallow would all be commanding more money than previously so there cap space wouldn't be huge. Plus losing K Hunt wouldn't free up much space as the AFL paid the big chunk of his wage. So I'm guessing Connors is dealing with the club who says they can afford and want him. Brisbane would be appealing as Claye is there and its a quick 44 minute trip from the gold coast so the travel wouldn't be huge.
Everyone needs to remember Dean Warren at the Lions answered a question when asked would they be interested in Dayne Beams when he came off contract and he answerd they would always be interested in Dayne Beams if he was available.
His fathers illness is 100% authentic Eddie and Pert have confirmed this publicly it's just the situation changed and now all parties are dealing with it.
I hope the club gets a good deal.
As Connors said the club is holding all the aces and you can be assured if Dayne does stay he will give 100% at all times.
. Thanks for all that I have a question, say Beams stayed as no suitable trade could be worked out and the situation with his father also changed next year, in those circumstances would he ever consider resigning with the pies or are we at best delaying the inevitable
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

CarringbushCigar wrote:No i mean talk.
How would Brisbane come out this morning and say pick 4 is fair.
And imply Beams will stand out of football for a year if a deal is not done.

That's a fair bluff.

Collingwood should have come out day 1 and said they are prepared to give Dayne 2015 off, and are urgently arranging a deal for 2016 beyond.

Even offer him to Brisbane for 2015 but sign him for 2016 beyond.

Why hasn't anything like this happened?

Surely thats all win/win if its 99% to play with Clay and spend time with his father.
I don't know his fathers situation and wish him no ill in any way shape or form but that is just ludicrous. Do they then add 2016 should his father not fall of the mortal coil as you'd like? And how would this lease arrangement work, how does it benefit the club?
CarringbushCigar

jackcass wrote:
Do they then add 2016 should his father not fall of the mortal coil as you'd like?
I am worried about your state of mind
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

CarringbushCigar wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Do they then add 2016 should his father not fall of the mortal coil as you'd like?
I am worried about your state of mind
Can appreciate that rational may be a foriegn concept for you.
derkd
Been liked: 26 times

Post by derkd »

Last edited by derkd on Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Pi

Post by Pi »

^
yep, think of the haggle scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u75XQdTxZRc
Pi = Infinite = Collingwood = Always
Floreat Pica
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

This is a horrible situation, but as Nathan Buckley said himself, he owes duty of care not only to Beams but also to the rest of our team. If we lose Beams unfairly it will shatter our plans for the next few years. As Buckley commented, the loss of Beams was not in the planning. Buckley owes it to the entire team to reject any emotional blackmail that Brisbane and Beams' manager might seek to impose in this situation. Already, Beams' manager is in the media, presenting the deal as a "fait accompli" and a question of "respect".
Buckley and Pert need to be strong and steel themselves against these blatant attempts at emotional manipulation.
Pick 4 and a "promising youngster" are not adequate compensation for Beams and must be rejected by Collingwood. It must be like for like, or not at all. The onus is on Brisbane to organize a like for like deal, not on Collingwood.
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

John Wren wrote:it seems counterproductive to not get a deal done. the cynic in me thinks that brisbane and beams' manager are playing a wildcard in taking advantage of the old man's health. possibly, all other avenues to get beams to brisbane have failed. the rhetoric being used suggests this.

on the other hand, i respect the info qldmagpie67 has provided to us and with no more insight to the situation than that we must all take it at face value and allow a young man to be reunited with his sick father irrespective of what ultimately it costs us.
I think your first paragraph sums up the situation.

Beams and Brisbane are using emotional blackmail to get him to the lions.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

Museman wrote:I get an ugly feeling we will get P4 and an upgrade on our second rounder...
We wont be giving up our second rounder as well as Beams in a swap for pick 4 and Brisbane's second rounder.

Pick 4 and there second rounder for Beams and we retain our second round pick is the lowest possible compensation possible we'll be forced to accept IMO.

In reality pick 4, there second rounder and Mayes is what the compensation should be.

They only way I can see a swap of second round picks occurring is if Collingwood wants a sweetner on top of pick 4 and a player to seal the deal.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Scribe

Post by Scribe »

Right, this is a direct quote from Beams' manager this morning:

"Dayne's father is healthy and in remission - he has not had a relapse."

"Dayne spent some time with his old man a few weeks ago and that crystallised his thoughts on the decision."

"This is purely a player wanting to go home."

This significantly changes my thoughts on this. I still understand Beams' motives, but make no mistake, Collingwood should be in no rush to cater to his wants when under contract, even if it means losing him for less next year.

We hold the aces here.

Brisbane's football manager stated this morning that pick 4 would do. If that's all they are willing to offer, I hope Dayne enjoys another season at Westpac.