#17,#11 Dayne Beams

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

How do people usually respond to that? Do you mean you and me have?
gurugeoff
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gurugeoff »

if he wants to go, then i reckon pick no. 4 is a fair swap. He was only pick 26 after all.

Yes, he is a good player, but we are supposed to be chock full of gun midfielders, and most of this year we turned around and ask why is our midfield so slow. Well, Beams is part of the problem. His good goal sense hides some of his other flaws.
Az

Post by Az »

^ I'm calling it. The biggest spud comment in this thread.
The-Den

Post by The-Den »

malteaser wrote:Why couldn't we do a straight swap for prestia or O'Mera and a extra round 2 pick or something like that.

Pity I am on school hols, I work with Dangers uncle who hates collingwood with a passion (he would be spewing big time), I would love to pry out of him the gossip. I also live on the surf coast and Geelong supporters think that he will eventually go to the cats, when i raised this the other day, they were aghast, wouldn't be able to wipe the smile of my face if he came to pies. I think i would put a huge danger picture on my fence just to rub it in a little further
I would take O'Meara for him in a heart beat. That kid can seriously play. I doubt GC would do it though.
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

Az wrote:^ I'm calling it. The biggest spud comment in this thread.
i like beams but i get the sense he is being overhyped right now. not entirely convinced he is a "once in a generation" type as some external of this forum have described him. he is only 24. is coming into his prime but he is not often a game changer, match winner.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

Beams not a match winner?

Surely you jest?

Gets nearly as much of the ball as Pendles and kicked 10 more goals than him.

He's our best goal kicking midfielder by far.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 103 times

Post by RudeBoy »

swoop42 wrote:Beams not a match winner?

Surely you jest?

+1.
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

Surely you jest?

not often. maybe it's me or my failing memory but i don't often recall beams imposing himself on a game and singlehandedly getting us the chocolates. feel free to refresh my memory.
gurugeoff
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gurugeoff »

i agree. he is a very, very good honest footballer, and great to have in a team of other good players, but on his own, not a lot of tricks.
Az

Post by Az »

Very surprised you see it that way John because even though they finished on the same brownlow votes, I saw Beams have more of an impact on our games than Pendles did this year, and certainly in 2012. Had he not of gotten injured in the last few weeks of the season he would have been a lock in for the Copeland. You're correct in saying he's not a once in a generation player, but he is seriously elite. Put him in a Brisbane midfield with Rockcliff and co and they're midfield suddenly top 5. Put him in GC's midfield next to Gaz and co and they become contenders. Most footy people have expressed their view that Beams is worth more than pick 4 and most fans who can put their hatred for the pies aside tend to come to the same conclusion.

You might not see him as a match winner as he isn't an impact player say like a Rioli etc, but evenly over 4 qtrs is where he gets it done game after game.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

John Wren wrote:
i like beams but i get the sense he is being overhyped right now. not entirely convinced he is a "once in a generation" type as some external of this forum have described him. he is only 24. is coming into his prime but he is not often a game changer, match winner.
We're selling not buying: 2 first round draft picks or nuttin' :wink:
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

watt price tully wrote:
John Wren wrote:
We're selling not buying: 2 first round draft picks or nuttin' :wink:
that's right. of course. h is your renovator's dream whereas beams is that recently built mansion in the hottest postcode. yep.
magpieazza

Post by magpieazza »

Beams was brilliant in 2012, and pick four plus an up and coming midfielder would cover it.
Beams makes the ball sing and his new club will get a lot closer to a premiership with him in the side.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.
Stupied

Post by Stupied »

David wrote:One question: do we really want to further strengthen a team that is already looking like dominating the competition in a couple of years? For that reason alone, I'd rather send him to Brisbane.
Crap reasoning. You don't make your own club weaker just so another team won't get stronger.
Stupied

Post by Stupied »

John Wren wrote:

Surely you jest?

not often. maybe it's me or my failing memory but i don't often recall beams imposing himself on a game and singlehandedly getting us the chocolates. feel free to refresh my memory.
Round 10 vs the weagles. 31 disposals and 2.1. Was pivotal in dragging us over the line. He lifted and brought his team mates with him.

That was the main game that stood out for me this season from him, aside from his 4 goal haul vs the scum, but he has done it multiple times during his career, and will only do it more as he heads towards his peak in a couple of years time.