#17,#11 Dayne Beams

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

Member 7167

Post by Member 7167 »

Wolf wrote:
Culprit wrote:ah Shit, just realised it's school fckn holidays. :roll:
Are you sitting in class all by yourself?

Gold :twisted:
RudeBoy
Been liked: 103 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Thanks for your post qldmagpie67.

Anyone who wants to blame Beams or question his motives at this terrible time, when his father is facing a terminal illness, should be ashamed of themselves. In fact, I'd ask the mods to consider banning them from Nicks.

As for Collingwood's response, it seems to me they are doing everything in their power to try to find a way to keep Dane at the Pies. So they should. He's one of the best midfielders in the country and a likely future Brownlow medalist. Importantly, at 24 he's about to hit his prime.

However, if, at the end of the day, it becomes apparent that Dane will not be able to focus properly on his footy, living so far away from his Dad while he battles cancer, then there is no point trying to keep him. If he truly wants out, then we should try to get the best possible deal we can. The consensus seems to be that he is worth a top 5 pick plus a gun young player.

Whatever eventuates from here on, I would like to think that ALL Collingwood supporters sympathise with Dane's predicament and wish him and his Dad all the best.
Funkadelic

Post by Funkadelic »

Well said Rudey, I think pick 4 and say Rockliff is probably overs, can see us getting their second round pick and Rockliff, I'd be happy with that. Do what's best for you you and your family Dane, thanks for giving your all every time you put on the mighty black and white jumper
Tear the roof off tha sucker!!!
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR

Post by uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR »

John Wren wrote:"It is understood that Beams' father, who lives on the Gold Coast, had suggested the boys try to play together."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/c ... z3EHvL30Gl
OK, so I wonder if one of Pert's resolutions is to trade in Clay & relocate the Beams family to Melbourne?!?!?
hazza11

Post by hazza11 »

Johnno75 wrote:At 24 and in his prime it would be an outrage if we only got pick 4 from Brisbane. While sympathetic to Beams' family issues the club must play hard ball. If Brisbane want him that badly then make them cough up pick 4 and a decent young player, maybe Aish.
This exactly what I want. I am upset to lose Beams, but keeping him and letting him have more time off next year doesn't sit well with me.

Rumours on SEN about us using Aish to get Dangerfield. That would be disasterous imo. We have enough guys that can't kick now, why get another one and in that a farken annoying one!

I will be happy with Aish and pick 4 and then add Moore in the draft.
CarringbushCigar
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by CarringbushCigar »

I can understand the emotional turmoil and the huge pull of spending time with family who may not have much time left.

I guess that the Brisbane offer wasn't even on the radar for Dayne before this recent news delivered by his family last week, which it has been implied is a worsening outlook for his Dad.

Details we don't know:
1. when did Dayne's management start talking to Brisbane?
2. what is the latest new news on his Dad?
hazza11

Post by hazza11 »

swoop42 wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:^^Absolutely, talent wise he's a big loss. But as a rather slow, rather short and more inside than outside player he's not a type that we are absolutely desperate for. We can use the deal to bring some of those in.
Oh ffs INK I know you've never liked him but this is getting beyond a joke now.

Finishing with 16 Brownlow votes the same as Pendlebury this season was no fluke.

Beams is our second best player IMO, will most likely finish top 2 to 3 in the Copeland and at 186cm is one of biggest midfielders.

He's also our best clearance player and highest goal kicker amongst the midfielders.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/2014.html

They guy is A grade all the way and an absolute elite talent of the competition.

Only Dangerfield would be a suitable replacement.
As good as Danger is as a clearance and CP player, his disposal is rat shite and is a very dumb player! I hate Danger and if he comes to us I really don't know how I will cope!
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

If Beams is genuinely wanting to move to be closer to his father then why not stand out of football for a year?

He could dedicate himself entirely to him. He can afford it.

No sorry I just don't buy that family reasons are the sole reason he wants to move it's merely one part.

That line of thinking by some of the moral crusaders loses a lot of credibility the instant he signs on for massive money at Brisbane.

I just don't believe in coincidences.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Beast

Post by Beast »

qldmagpie67 wrote:Ok folks time for a reality check.

Firstly I am stunned by the absolute panning some posters are giving Dayne. This is no con job to drive his price up or take a very lucrative offer from another club. This is a young man who lives away from a father who he is extremely close to and finding out that his fathers health is now in a dire place. I challenge anyone on here to not do something similar if they had the chance to be close to a parent who is facing the same situation.
I am disgusted by some of these comments and those who have posted them should really take a deep breathe and realize some things in life are bigger than football.
Let me put the facts together for you all which I have garnered by speaking to some mutual friends last night.
His dad has been sick for some time (all his mates have known that) but no one not even Dayne knew the extent of his illness until very recently.
His father had choosen to keep the gravity of his illness from his kids (and mates)
Recently the diagnosis became a lot worse than he first expected and thus the circumstances changed drastically.
Dayne's mother actually flew to Melbourne to deliver Dayne the news in person and to be there for him.
Now I haven't been able to speak to his dad by phone ( I am planning on going to the gold coast this weekend to see him in person now I have found out more)

Dayne found out the gravity of the situation last week and firstly rang Eddie to tell him. I am told Eddie told him to take some time and get his head together and get back to the club when he has been through everything that has happened. Apparently Dayne rang Eddie within an hour of finding out the news.
Dayne has fulfilled his obligations to the club in attending the Brownlow and has been working with his mother, brother and sister on what they feel is in the best interests of there father and his family (remembering his father has been divorced from his mother for nearly 20yrs)
Dayne is extremely close to his father and it was his father who was a fair country player himself that developed Dayne's love of the game and the basic skills.
Now I've been informed Dayne has been absolutely gutted by the turn of events and is torn between being there for his father and having to make a decision to leave a club who has been great to him since his career began.
Dayne and his family have been weighing up all there options after getting a full understanding of the situation his father is facing and he has been trying to make a decision.
A couple days ago Dayne met Eddie, Pert and Bucks privately (withoutnhis management just with his mother) to update them on the situation.
Eddie has been fantastic to Dayne and his family since Dayne arrived and again has with this new situation. Now this is a kid torn between the love of his father and the love of his club.
I am told his father isn't willing to relocate to Melbourne to continue his treatment as he wants to be close to his mates (plus he would be leaving Claye so it would be trading one son for another) so it has limited the options available to Dayne.
At 10pm last night I spoke to a mutual mate of ours who happens to be the father of one of Dayne's best mates and he said Dayne had been in contact with them and said the club is working on ways to make it easy for him to be able get home weekly or more often if required as a possible solution to Dayne's dilemma.
My understanding is Eddie again has been fantastic and basically told Dayne his father is the most important factor is this and the club would do everything in its capabilities to assist Dayne through this.
Now Dayne and the club are working together to see if they can find a way of Dayne staying in Melbourne and being a magpie but also him being able to spend time with his father who currently isn't sure of how much time he has left.
Tough choices need to be made from both sides of the fence. I can understand the club wanting to be fairly compensated for a elite player that's the business they are in and rightly so. I can also very much understand Dayne's side as well knowing him and his family for nearly 20yrs it's a absolute shocking situation for them to be in.
Everyone can debate what is a fair compensation for Dayne IF he leaves (and this is far from decided yet give Eddie a chance to work his magic here folks. If there is one thing our president can do is work magic) before we start making outlandish statements about a player who has given a lot to the club in his time here.
If anyone out there is stupid enough to believe this is a decision about $$ then they are so far removed from the facts it's unbelievable. If this was a financial decision Dayne could have lined his pockets at the end of 2012 and taken a lot more $$ gone to the Suns then but he decided to stay with the club on less (and I'm told it was a lot less as well over $100-$150k a season) so its not the money guys. He knows full well if he stayed at collingwood he would be rewarded financially as well.
Going forward lets all take a deep breathe and let Dayne and the club try to sort through this situation.
"Dad has beaten cancer and is now living life to the full"
Posted by Beams a week ago.

Needless to say I don't believe a word of this long-winded, arse-covering and generic tripe that doesn't tell us anything what hasn't been suggested already and could have been written by anyone.
Last edited by Beast on Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Malta

Post by King Malta »

swoop42 wrote:If Beams is genuinely wanting to move to be closer to his father then why not stand out of football for a year?

No sorry I just don't buy that family reasons are the sole reason he wants to move it's merely one part.

That line of thinking by some of the moral crusaders loses a lot of credibility the instant he signs on for massive money at Brisbane.

:lol: Good for you, but that doesn't mean they don't occur.

Why's it so hard to believe that one occurred here? It's not as if Beams wouldn't have been on Brisbane's radar before they knew about his father. Beams would be on most teams radars', he's that good, and the fact that he's from Brisbane would be something that would make you feel confident of having a decent shot at him if you were Brisbane. He's only got a year left on his contract as well, which puts pressure on Collingwood to do a deal if you can entice Dane enough. Oh, and you've got his brother playing for you too.

Then, when Beams (and his brother) found out Beams Sr. was sick I'm sure Clay would have spoken to Brisbane, and guess what, then they have an even more solid reason to touch base with Dane and try to entice him to move up north.

'What about the big bucks?' I hear some asking, well guess what, family reasons or no, you're going to have to cough up some money to lure an elite sportsman to your club. They've likely got some space in the cap and would like to ensure Dane finds himself at the Lions rather than the Suns if they decide they have some interest.
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

We are not in a position of power here, Beams wants to go to Brisbane, if we play hard ball he could do a Luke Ball on us, and it would work too.

But in saying that pick 4 is an absolute must, that's where the negotiations begin for us.
Last edited by Bob Sugar on Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Defender...........

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
King Malta

Post by King Malta »

Beast wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:Ok folks time for a reality check.

Firstly I am stunned by the absolute panning some posters are giving Dayne. This is no con job to drive his price up or take a very lucrative offer from another club. This is a young man who lives away from a father who he is extremely close to and finding out that his fathers health is now in a dire place. I challenge anyone on here to not do something similar if they had the chance to be close to a parent who is facing the same situation.
I am disgusted by some of these comments and those who have posted them should really take a deep breathe and realize some things in life are bigger than football.
Let me put the facts together for you all which I have garnered by speaking to some mutual friends last night.
His dad has been sick for some time (all his mates have known that) but no one not even Dayne knew the extent of his illness until very recently.
His father had choosen to keep the gravity of his illness from his kids (and mates)
Recently the diagnosis became a lot worse than he first expected and thus the circumstances changed drastically.
Dayne's mother actually flew to Melbourne to deliver Dayne the news in person and to be there for him.
Now I haven't been able to speak to his dad by phone ( I am planning on going to the gold coast this weekend to see him in person now I have found out more)

Dayne found out the gravity of the situation last week and firstly rang Eddie to tell him. I am told Eddie told him to take some time and get his head together and get back to the club when he has been through everything that has happened. Apparently Dayne rang Eddie within an hour of finding out the news.
Dayne has fulfilled his obligations to the club in attending the Brownlow and has been working with his mother, brother and sister on what they feel is in the best interests of there father and his family (remembering his father has been divorced from his mother for nearly 20yrs)
Dayne is extremely close to his father and it was his father who was a fair country player himself that developed Dayne's love of the game and the basic skills.
Now I've been informed Dayne has been absolutely gutted by the turn of events and is torn between being there for his father and having to make a decision to leave a club who has been great to him since his career began.
Dayne and his family have been weighing up all there options after getting a full understanding of the situation his father is facing and he has been trying to make a decision.
A couple days ago Dayne met Eddie, Pert and Bucks privately (withoutnhis management just with his mother) to update them on the situation.
Eddie has been fantastic to Dayne and his family since Dayne arrived and again has with this new situation. Now this is a kid torn between the love of his father and the love of his club.
I am told his father isn't willing to relocate to Melbourne to continue his treatment as he wants to be close to his mates (plus he would be leaving Claye so it would be trading one son for another) so it has limited the options available to Dayne.
At 10pm last night I spoke to a mutual mate of ours who happens to be the father of one of Dayne's best mates and he said Dayne had been in contact with them and said the club is working on ways to make it easy for him to be able get home weekly or more often if required as a possible solution to Dayne's dilemma.
My understanding is Eddie again has been fantastic and basically told Dayne his father is the most important factor is this and the club would do everything in its capabilities to assist Dayne through this.
Now Dayne and the club are working together to see if they can find a way of Dayne staying in Melbourne and being a magpie but also him being able to spend time with his father who currently isn't sure of how much time he has left.
Tough choices need to be made from both sides of the fence. I can understand the club wanting to be fairly compensated for a elite player that's the business they are in and rightly so. I can also very much understand Dayne's side as well knowing him and his family for nearly 20yrs it's a absolute shocking situation for them to be in.
Everyone can debate what is a fair compensation for Dayne IF he leaves (and this is far from decided yet give Eddie a chance to work his magic here folks. If there is one thing our president can do is work magic) before we start making outlandish statements about a player who has given a lot to the club in his time here.
If anyone out there is stupid enough to believe this is a decision about $$ then they are so far removed from the facts it's unbelievable. If this was a financial decision Dayne could have lined his pockets at the end of 2012 and taken a lot more $$ gone to the Suns then but he decided to stay with the club on less (and I'm told it was a lot less as well over $100-$150k a season) so its not the money guys. He knows full well if he stayed at collingwood he would be rewarded financially as well.
Going forward lets all take a deep breathe and let Dayne and the club try to sort through this situation.
"Dad has beaten cancer and is now living life to the full"
Posted by Beams a week ago.

Needless to say I don't believe a word of this long-winded, arse-covering and generic tripe that doesn't tell us anything what hasn't been suggested already and could have been written by anyone.
Being suddenly alerted to the mortality of a loved one (which is something we can all take for granted) can be a harrowing experience for a lot of people and it's perfectly reasonable to want to be able to spend more time with them.

'Beating it' doesn't necessarily mean that the Cancer won't come back either, sadly.
rocketronnie

Post by rocketronnie »

If Dayne wants to go because of his dad, and some other arrangement can't be worked out amicably, then let him go. This situation will test the club's suspect problem solving abilities to the hilt.
"Only the weak believe that what they do in battle is who they are as men" - Thomas Marshall - "Ironclad".
Dave The Man
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Dave The Man »

I am Da Man
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

King Malta wrote:
swoop42 wrote:If Beams is genuinely wanting to move to be closer to his father then why not stand out of football for a year?

:lol: Good for you, but that doesn't mean they don't occur.

Why's it so hard to believe that one occurred here? It's not as if Beams wouldn't have been on Brisbane's radar before they knew about his father. Beams would be on most teams radars', he's that good, and the fact that he's from Brisbane would be something that would make you feel confident of having a decent shot at him if you were Brisbane. He's only got a year left on his contract as well, which puts pressure on Collingwood to do a deal if you can entice Dane enough. Oh, and you've got his brother playing for you too.

Then, when Beams (and his brother) found out Beams Sr. was sick I'm sure Clay would have spoken to Brisbane, and guess what, then they have an even more solid reason to touch base with Dane and try to entice him to move up north.

'What about the big bucks?' I hear some asking, well guess what, family reasons or no, you're going to have to cough up some money to lure an elite sportsman to your club. They've likely got some space in the cap and would like to ensure Dane finds himself at the Lions rather than the Suns if they decide they have some interest.
Yep. Not as if his next contract at the Pies wouldn't have been a substantial increase on his current one.