What's the last movie you watched?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

My favourite movie is Have you seen ?
annewilo

Post by annewilo »

Watched some old ones recently. Some of them I wished I hadn't.

The abomination that Steven Speilberg did to H G Wells classic radio play of War of the Worlds. They called it an adaptation but the only thing they used was the title.

Can someone please tell Tom Cruise that he cannot act. And the girl that played the part of his daughter, scared the living shelter sheds out of me!
It was shocking from beginning to end. The only thing I enjoyed was the aliens, I thought the CGI blokes did a great job there. I was just praying that Cruise would get killed. He just cannot act nor deliver a line in a movie with any credibility and doesn't make me want to believe he is the character.

One that I did enjoy was the 1999 movie Office Space. I don't usually laugh at these Amercan send ups of normality but it was hilarious. And so many instances of office life that I have seen in person over the last century! Best part was the interview with the "Consultants" who were there to effect change. The main character told them he didn't care about his job, spent his whole time looking like he was busy and wouldn't be concerned if they sacked him. Immediately he was seen as great management material.
The Knights of Abbotsford
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

I love Office Space, I watched it again not too long ago, I may have to again soon. But at the moment I am trying to find Beavis and Butthead Do America. :P
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 47 times

Post by David »

think positive wrote:
3.14159...etc wrote:watched Terence Malick's "The New World" last nite.
Colin Farrel, Chris Plummer,
Christian Bale and Q,Orinaka Kilcher in the story of Capt Smith, Pocahontas and the settling of Virginia.
I thunk it was going to be a soapy romance but it's far from that.
Well researched (i watched the Extras), gripping, beautifully acted and shot.
i give it 4 stars.

watched j.j abramms Star-Trek on Fridae, what a disappointment.
Not 1 robot in the hole bleedin film.
HAL, ring Robot Equitty and get sum answers!
Is " the new world" a new movie?
It's from about 2005. :)

Anne, wasn't WotW written as a book before Orson Welles adapted it for radio broadcast? I'm only asking because I wonder if both diverged from the original text markedly - but yes, I too have seen the Spielberg version, and it was bad.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
HAL

Post by HAL »

annewilo

Post by annewilo »

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
Christian Bale and Q,Orinaka Kilcher in the story of Capt Smith, Pocahontas and the settling of Virginia.
i give it 4 stars.

Anne, wasn't WotW written as a book before Orson Welles adapted it for radio broadcast? I'm only asking because I wonder if both diverged from the original text markedly - but yes, I too have seen the Spielberg version, and it was bad.

HG Wells wrote the book and Orson Welles, no relation performed it in a radio play. It is far more known now as a great play, rather than the book, as the play got all the attention because of the reaction.

And yes, the SS film was true in parts to the book, rather than the play, but overall I felt that the performance by Cruise destroyed any credibility.

It was like an amalgam of the play and book, set in New York I think, then to Boston, whereas the original book was set in the UK.

But they turned it in to creatures being there for a million years and coming up from the earth, whereas Wells book had them as Martians attacking.

Speilbergs film was dark and made me confused, as he tried to be clever and make the story more his than respect for the Wells and Welles versions. Throwing Cruise in to the mix lost it for me.

I sometimes detest reading a book or a play and then seeing it in film. I was sure there was a black and white version of the play on film, that Welles also did, but I cannot find it to reference. This was excellent and it was what I was expecting when I saw the latest version. I am not a fan of remakes or interpretations. Call me old fashioned but that's me!
Last edited by annewilo on Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HAL

Post by HAL »

David

Post by David »

annewilo wrote:
David wrote:
think positive wrote:
i give it 4 stars.

HG Wells wrote the book and Orson Welles, no relation performed it in a radio play. It is far more known now as a great play, rather than the book, as the play got all the attention because of the reaction.

And yes, the SS film was true in parts to the book, rather than the play, but overall I felt that the performance by Cruise destroyed any credibility.

It was like an amalgam of the play and book, set in New York I think, then to Boston, whereas the original book was set in the UK.

But they turned it in to creatures being there for a million years and coming up from the earth, whereas Wells book had them as Martians attacking.

Speilbergs film was dark and made me confused, as he tried to be clever and make the story more his than respect for the Wells and Welles versions. Throwing Cruise in to the mix lost it for me.

I sometimes detest reading a book or a play and then seeing it in film. I was sure there was a black and white version of the play on film, that Welles also did, but I cannot find it to reference. This was excellent and it was what I was expecting when I saw the latest version. I am not a fan of remakes or interpretations. Call me old fashioned but that's me!
Fair enough. Just to play devil's advocate here, though, wasn't Welles' classic radio play every bit as much a remake/reinterpretation as the film? Also, I'm not aware that Orson ever filmed it, but I could be wrong.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
HAL

Post by HAL »

annewilo

Post by annewilo »

David wrote:
annewilo wrote:
David wrote:
think positive wrote:
i give it 4 stars.

Fair enough. Just to play devil's advocate here, though, wasn't Welles' classic radio play every bit as much a remake/reinterpretation as the film? Also, I'm not aware that Orson ever filmed it, but I could be wrong.
A little different as he made a play. He kept it fairly to the original, although he too moved the location I think, because he was broadcasting in the US and it added credibility. If you have time, read the book and then listen to his play adaptation. I think you will enjoy both. Don't trouble to follow up on the Speilbergs movie though. A waste of two hours I will never get back!

I suppose some general stories are ok to butcher in movies but classics, including both the book and the play, should be left alone.

David, this play had an amazing reaction throughout America. The time was of a time that we will never get back. A time of little communication, a time of innocence and in this case, the play had as much impact if not moreso than the book because of this.
Last edited by annewilo on Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HAL

Post by HAL »

Me? What makes you say that I will enjoy.
stui magpie
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by stui magpie »

annewilo wrote:Watched some old ones recently. Some of them I wished I hadn't.

The abomination that Steven Speilberg did to H G Wells classic radio play of War of the Worlds. They called it an adaptation but the only thing they used was the title.

Can someone please tell Tom Cruise that he cannot act. And the girl that played the part of his daughter, scared the living shelter sheds out of me!
It was shocking from beginning to end. The only thing I enjoyed was the aliens, I thought the CGI blokes did a great job there. I was just praying that Cruise would get killed. He just cannot act nor deliver a line in a movie with any credibility and doesn't make me want to believe he is the character.
I was watching FTA TV on Saturday night too, and I concur with your assessment of the movie and Tom Cruise.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.

Post by 3.14159 »

think positive wrote:
and sadly, I'm lousy in the sack!

The Mises says... "with a paper bag on my head, i'm not arf bad".
:cry:
~
The Nue World came in a set with a film called Geisha. Got em for Chrismas (cheapo family pres) so they can't be too recent. Your more Video Easy where-as i'm more Video-Dogs but i think you'd like it. Some violence, a towering love story and some trag. I recomend it highly.

Rocky (I to IV ), were on the tellie a few weeks ago and as i'd never seen any of them beforeso i watched, well sort of. ..
@t the end of the second(?) film Rocky and some blak bloke are smashing each other senseless. i got bored so i switched channel. Came back 10 mins later just as rocki lands the killer blow. the black guy falls, so does rocky. Two minz later he black dude is still falling and so is our hero. so i switch again. I come back 3 mins later and theiy've both JUST the canvas! did i miss sumpfink? was there a flashback telling us he learnt to defy gravity and excitment??
a movie two later rocki is out for revenge on some Russian "Uber Mensch, he HAS to get even because the blond Russian tyro killed the blake bloke in the earlier filum.
It's boxing, it is a combat sport, accidents happen.
all that jingoistic flag-waving non-sense.
i gave up.
i'm not down on boxing,
just bored by what Slyyy did wiff/to it.

Ignorance was Bliss!
~
David

Post by David »

Cheers Anne. The version I know and enjoy best is the Jeff Wayne 1970s musical play with Justin Hayward singing 'Forever Autumn'. :)
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

The Damned United.

a movie about Brian Cloughs ill fated 44 days at Leeds United, they have mixed in some real football footage into this movie, which really adds to it.

I am thinking of watching either Sicko, or the Absent-Minded Professor next.