What's the last movie you watched?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by David »

Not a film, but I'm currently watching Jeeves and Wooster with Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry. Loved the books when I was younger, and the TV show is fantastic.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Saw "Bran nu day" this evening on ABC1 with Mrs WPT & WPT the younger. Enjoyed it. Good fun - light entertainment & they did a good job of it.

Saw the play many years ago - couldn't tell you where but it was in Melbourne.
Last edited by watt price tully on Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

I see "4 Lions" has come out on sale & is now avaliable for rent at the DVD shops.

Made a reference & link to it in mid December:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yszKc4m-W9U&feature=fvw

Looking forward to hiring it. The film made some film critics / reviewers lists as film of the year in 2010.
Last edited by watt price tully on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
David

Post by David »

I've been wanting to catch 4 Lions since it was at the cinema, but haven't got around to it yet. I'll probably check out Black Swan over the coming weeks.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
watt price tully

Culprit wrote:Animal Kingdom - Good in parts 6 out of 10, Weaver says nothing for most of the show and I am surprised by the nominations :shock:

True Grit 2010 - Not a bad show 7 out of 10, young actress steals the show

Unstoppable - Knew what was going to happen in saying that it was enjoyable 5 out of 10

The Town - 7 out of 10, I enjoyed the show depsite how long it went.

The Social Network
- 5 out of 10 would have been better if they cut it by an hour.
I'm looking forward to "True Grit" pilgrim Culprit. I Like a lot of the Coen Brothers films especially Fargo, Burn after Reading & Oh Brother Where Art Thou amongst others.

I rated "The Social Network" higher than you & didn't notice the time. Haven't seen the other 2 yet.

Each to their own! Viva la difference!
Donny
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Donny »

You can add "Get off my lawn" to "Go ahead, make my day" and other CE classics after watching Gran Torino.

One of the ways I mark a good film is how many repeat viewings I can take.

Similar to a good (music) album, where I find myself 'discovering' yet another good track, after the umpteenth play, I watched GT for the 5th time, the other night, and still saw whole scenes I'd missed or that simply didn't register during previous viewings.

Again, similar to a good album, where there are so many good tracks to digest that some just slip by until I'm ready to notice them.

GT works on several levels - also, for me, the hallmark of a good film.
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
watt price tully

Donny wrote:You can add "Get off my lawn" to "Go ahead, make my day" and other CE classics after watching Gran Torino.

One of the ways I mark a good film is how many repeat viewings I can take.

Similar to a good (music) album, where I find myself 'discovering' yet another good track, after the umpteenth play, I watched GT for the 5th time, the other night, and still saw whole scenes I'd missed or that simply didn't register during previous viewings.

Again, similar to a good album, where there are so many good tracks to digest that some just slip by until I'm ready to notice them.

GT works on several levels - also, for me, the hallmark of a good film.
Enjoyed that on DVD but can't find my copy of it. One of the kiddiwinkles has taken it somehwere & left it - not happy Jan.
watt price tully

Hired "4 Lions" tonight on DVD. Very good film, powerful, funny, tragic, pathos & bathos but no Peter Daicos (sorry about that.....got carried away). Well worth the view.
Dragme
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Dragme »

Culprit wrote:Animal Kingdom - Good in parts 6 out of 10, Weaver says nothing for most of the show and I am surprised by the nominations :shock:
Just watched Animal Kingdom as well.

I agree.

Weaver says nothing but plants kisses on lips for most of the first 3/4 of the film. She did have that "looney" look in her eyes for the last 1/4 of it but they were joking if they think this was enough to win a Golden Globe.
Born, Live and Die a Magpie
watt price tully

Last week saw "Barneys version" brilliant & moving.

Taped this gem on SBS this week & my family are loving it. ( watching it in grabs at the moment)

Gives me faith: "The Yes Men Fix The World".

I rarely use the term but these men have balls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnQX09DZLYE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiWlvBro ... re=related
Last edited by watt price tully on Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

I heard other people use the term but these men have balls too.
watt price tully

Daughter hired a Mike Leigh film (DVD) last night & I really enjoyed it. Will make me think twice about a driving instructors though. Good film called "Happy Go Lucky":

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&sourc ... UeOl4Lopdw

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&sourc ... eADDHfyMqQ
David

Post by David »

Great film! I love all of Mike Leigh's movies, particularly recommend Naked, Career Girls and Vera Drake.
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

Goal! and Goal! 2

It follows Santiago Munez a young kid from Mexico that has a dream of playing football. Santi's family enter into America illegally into Los Angeles and he works with his dad doing landscaping. Goal! 2 follows his journey from playing in the English Premier League to going to Real Madrid.

I am hoping to obtain Goal! 3, though I have been told that it wasn't that great, I bought both of these movies as ex-rentals from Video city and watched them for the first time during the week.
Miss_Lisey_Molloy

Post by Miss_Lisey_Molloy »

Has anyone here seen the movie 'Everybody's Fine' with Robert De Niro?? If you like easy-going movies, that are half comedy/half drama, and also sad.. then see it! I'm apparently an 'ice queen' (so my friends say) yet I bawled my eyes out :P

Also, has anyone seen 'The Stoning of Soraya M'?? That movie was really confronting, and also made me cry, but an angry cry.. if that makes sense lol!

Love always, Alyssa xoxo
*~Alyssa's Song Of The Moment~*
I See You - Luke Bryan

Jarrod Molloy's #1 Fan! Pies are Premiers in 2010!!