What's the last movie you watched?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Perhaps your thoughts are just electrical impulses.
think positive
Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by think positive »

unbraekaBLE - was he dead?? i dontge t it
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

mandy wrote:I've been introducing my daughter to some good old fashioned BD classics in the past few weeks.

Hush, hush sweet Charlotte.

The Nanny.

All About Eve.

The Anniversary.

And then I left my all time favourite until last......

Whatever Happened To Baby Jane.

AWESOME! :D
Great selection but "All About Eve" is simply the one of the best films ever made. It was the 2009 Independents (Great on line read & UK paper) best film ever made - most usually have Citizen Kane.

Like the good Dr but a few years later I actually saw ...Baby Jane - very scary as a child (I would have been about around 9) & also a great film but IMO not in the same league as "All About Eve".

Strong women characters, the writing was so acerbic & brilliant - it still takes my breath away. I've posted on this thread about the film before - just love it. Won 6 academy awards in 1950. Jospeh Mankiewicz knew how to make a film.

http://www.spike.com/video/bette-davis-all/2755580

http://www.google.com.au/url?url=http:/ ... 7KAfI3TVyQ

The link above is a beauty - watch it through to the end.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
David
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by David »

think positive wrote:unbraekaBLE - was he dead?? i dontge t it
Lol, I think that'd be The Sixth Sense you're getting confused with.

Bruce has special super-powers in Unbreakable (namely, the ability to see someone's past criminal actions simply by coming into physical contact with them). The Final twist is that he finds out that Samuel Jackson has been his evil nemesis all along. Very silly film. :P
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
watt price tully

Have seen a couple that I've taped on SBS:

Shaolin Soccer - not bad not really good either - silly film really & a bit of light hearted fun but if you come with low expectations then you won't be disappointed. Had some good moments. Chinese film directed by the lead actor apparently.

The Bands Visit which I thought was a wonderful, subtle & wry film showing the humanity of people without being nostalgic, saccharine sweet & sucks you in:

From Rotten Tomatoes:

Synopsis: A band composed of members of the Egyptian police force heads to Israel to play at the inaugural ceremony of an Arab arts center, only to find themselves lost in the wrong (but similar sounding) town.

Margaret & David from the ABC:

http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s2265615.htm

Youtube trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWYlLb0jm8U&feature=fvw

A feel good & terrific film. Saw it about 4 or 5 days ago.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
David

Post by David »

I quite liked The Band's Visit, recommended it to a customer at work today who was looking for a good film in Arabic or Hebrew. This way they got a bit of both. :)
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
watt price tully

^ Indeed the customer got both!!

"The Bands Visit" is on the HDD of the PVR for the rest of the family to catch up with.

Amongst the drivel there's been a few gems on TV in the last mfew weeks. I need to buy a portable HDD suitable for my PVR. Joel said he uses a Western Digital - which I think I'll get coz I've got a lot of Collingwood games on it, the family like having 'Live with Jools Holland" for the music taped & I tape films & doco's.

Taped "The Assassination of Richard Nixon" with Sean Penn playing a lead role & our own Jack Thompson as well. That was last night & watched a bit looked pretty good & creepy. For some time later.

Must go down to JB in Malvern & have a sqwark. Got a JB voucher for chrissie from one of my daughters. I usually go to the Brighton or Southland stores.
think positive
Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by think positive »

David wrote:
think positive wrote:unbraekaBLE - was he dead?? i dontge t it
Lol, I think that'd be The Sixth Sense you're getting confused with.

Bruce has special super-powers in Unbreakable (namely, the ability to see someone's past criminal actions simply by coming into physical contact with them). The Final twist is that he finds out that Samuel Jackson has been his evil nemesis all along. Very silly film. :P
thanks, and yep , your right, stupid along with sin city, i just LOVE bruce but those 2 stink!!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

of recent times i have watched:

new york, i love you
paris, je taime
solo

am about to watch boy, an nz film released last year.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
Mr Smith Goes To C'Wood

Post by Mr Smith Goes To C'Wood »

Gotten reacquainted with Welles' A Touch of Evil, a couple of times. A cracker!
David

Post by David »

^ agreed, great film.

Go and see Todd Solondz' Life During Wartime if you get the chance. Amazing film, simultaneously hilarious and profoundly uncomfortable.
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
Mr Smith Goes To C'Wood

Post by Mr Smith Goes To C'Wood »

David wrote:^ agreed, great film.

Go and see Todd Solondz' Life During Wartime if you get the chance. Amazing film, simultaneously hilarious and profoundly uncomfortable.
Thanks David, for the suggestion. Will try and catch it.
Culprit
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Culprit »

Animal Kingdom - Good in parts 6 out of 10, Weaver says nothing for most of the show and I am surprised by the nominations :shock:

True Grit 2010 - Not a bad show 7 out of 10, young actress steals the show

Unstoppable - Knew what was going to happen in saying that it was enjoyable 5 out of 10

The Town - 7 out of 10, I enjoyed the show depsite how long it went.

The Social Network
- 5 out of 10 would have been better if they cut it by an hour.
mandy

Post by mandy »

I've watched a few movies this weekend.

Somewhere
I wasn't really sure what it was about and found it a bit slow in parts. Some scene's tended to go longer than they needed with nothing happening. But when it was over I realised it was kinda the theme it was going for. Dakota Fanning's little sister was very good and Stephen Dorff is very easy to watch for 90 minutes. I liked it. 7.5/10

Conviction
Based on a true story about a bloke who gets sentenced to life with no parole for a murder he didn't commit. His highschool drop out sister puts herself through law school to prove his innocence. Awesome performance by Hillary Swank playing the sister. I liked this one a lot. 8.5/10

The Tourist
I'd put off watching this until I could get my hands on a free copy. I refuse to finance anything that might benefit that home-wreching whore. Love Johhny Depp though. I'd only seen the trailer and hadn't heard much else about it. It was ok but far too predictable. 6/10 only because again, Johnny Depp is easy to watch for 90 minutes.

Black Swan
It's been about 36 hours since I watched this and I'm still unsure what to think. Safe to say the storyline was nothing that I'd expected from seeing the trailers. Natalie Portman is brilliant in this role and deserves a few awards this year. Aside from the fact I still don't know what was going on most of the time, I really want to give it a 9/10. I think...
#TEAMBUCKS
#TEAMEDDIE
#TEAMCOLLINGWOOD
#SIDEBYSIDE